Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-131 timeline Los Angeles

I have applied for (my wife) for an advance Parole Sept 22, 2003 while her AOS is still pending and waiting for an interview date. I need to know how long it takes for the INS to process and approve the request for the advance Parole. I heard it takes about 14-30 days. Does it take longer? Does anyone have any experience with I-131 in Los Angeles lately and got an approval?

Can I go to the LA Office and get it myself? You think they can give it to me?

I know the INS cashed the checked and received the application viea EXPRESS MAIL. And the INS sent us a receipt a month go by mail for the fees ($110).

KOKO

I have applied for (my wife) for an advance Parole Sept 22, 2003 while her AOS is still pending and waiting for an interview date. I need to know how long it takes for the INS to process and approve the request for the advance Parole. I heard it takes about 14-30 days. Does it take longer? Does anyone have any experience with I-131 in Los Angeles lately and got an approval?

Can I go to the LA Office and get it myself? You think they can give it to me?

I know the INS cashed the checked and received the application viea EXPRESS MAIL. And the INS sent us a receipt a month go by mail for the fees ($110).

KOKO

Comment

Also, what is the I-131 Advance Parole? Is it a letter showing the name of the traveller or a picture ID?

KOKO

Comment

KOKO, I am not sure whether it is the same for everyone or not but it took 2 1/2 months for my friend to get hers. It a letter with the travellers picture on it.

Comment

Thankx Whistler. Was it in LA? How long ago was that? I need this approved within 2 weeks at the most so my wife can travel end of October.

What is she leaves the country and I send her the Advance Parole LETTER / ID to enter the U.S.? Will that work or she needs to leave with it?

Thanks all for your input.

KOKO

Comment

Hi KOKO
            Yes it was in LA. She sent in her paper in Jan 2003 and I think she got the AP in mid April.
            I would suggest that your wife leaves the country with AP in hand, don't take any chances. It will be better to wait than face any problems later.
            Hope this helps and Good Luck!!

Comment

Thanks Whisle....
              She needs to be overseas by end of Nov with or without the AP. She has a sister wedding to attend. DO you think we should go the LA Office and request the advance parole to be given to us this week so she can travel in 2 weeks? Will they give it to us?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks Whisle....
                She needs to be overseas by end of Nov with or without the AP. She has a sister wedding to attend. DO you think we should go the LA Office and request the advance parole to be given to us this week so she can travel in 2 weeks? Will they give it to us?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks Whisle....

Thanks

Comment

Hi, I do not know much about advance parole, but she should not leave without it. And be careful, if she had any unlawful presence in the US, it my come back to bit her. I have read a lot of posts about advance parole. Just look for them, that may help her make a more informed decision.

Comment

KOKO
                      I don't think INS will care that she has to attend her sisters wedding. Pls check with INS thoroughly before your wife leaves the country, if she does without an AP it is considered abandoning her petition, so think really hard and come to a decision.

Comment

I am going to the INS office tomorrow to try to get the AP in hand. Any last minutes advice? I will take all papers I received from them and sent them....Thanks

Comment

Any chance they will stamp her passport and get this over with same day? Some guy was denied an AP and when he visited the office of the INS, they stamped his passport in Michigan...

Check this link:
                          http://britishexpats.com/arch/35/2003/10/186277

Comment

UPDATE my friends:

I just wanted to share this with you. You have been a great help and I hope this would help someone someday.

My wife and I (and one of our little kids, the other was in pre-school) went to ROOM 1001. There was no wait but 5-10 minutes. We were given a REFFERAL to go to room 2050 to where they inquire about advance Parole. We went there to room 2050 and a nice young lady pulled the file and said the INS will send us a respnse within a week. We asked if all papers were there and if there is anything missing. She looked through the papers and said said there should have been a copy of the I-94 attached and any extensions for her stay. I gave her copies. If we did not go there and there was no I-94, they would have PUT THE FILE on the shelf and never responded or she would have been rejected the AP SHE SAID. A supervisor checked and made sure my wife was here legally all the time. We were asked to leave and to wait a week or so to receive the AP by mail. I insisted (politely -nicely) if we can wait and take it same day because my wife really needs to travel. She was nice enough to ask us to go have lunch and come back. We came back an hour later and there she has it. She gave it to us. APPROVED AP valid for a YEAR multiple entries MY advice to you AP guys/gals: go there and inquire about it 2-3 weeks after you send it. Also Send all listed papers with the application I-131 AND the I-94 (which was not listed as a required document to be attached).

Also please note that the AP is in one department at the INS and the I-485 AOS is at another department and the INS, it seems, does not look or get the file for the AOS application when they issue or reject the AP. They want you to give them all papers (including the Receipt for the AOS I485). They asked to see the EAD.

We also went and inquird about the AOS interview in another room - Room 2024. It has been 9 months since we filed for an AOS for my wife. They pulled the AOS file and asked us to wait until the INS send us an interview date. I asked if we can be interviewed that second because I had everything on me and of course they don't do that but I gave it a shot and asked anyway. I asked how long it will ake to be called to be interviewed, the officer did not know but said another 1-4 months. At this point we don't care even if it takes another 3-6 months. I asked if the the background check came back and nothing is missing and the officer said it needs to be reviewed and he is putting the file on the SHELF to be PROCESSED and it was in a BOX. It sounded to me like by us going and inquired about it, it sped things up!!!

Also, I originally submitted my ORIGINAL certificate of Naturalization when we filed, mistake I know. I requested it back and the Officer was hesitant at first to give it back to me but I told him that here is a copy and the original is not required, he gave it back to me. I have written the INS 3 times in the past to get the oroginal back and I got no response. With one visit, I got it back.

We wasted all day there. From 8AM until 3:30.

KOKO

Comment

KOKO

Congratulations and thanks for the update.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation