X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 751 Affidavit Example?

Hi,

My USC wife and I are divorced now. I am going to file the 751 myself and I need to get an affidavit from her (and I am also getting another from her sister who got us together initially) about the validity of our marriage. Is there some site where I can look at how the affidavit should look like (i.e. format, notarized or not, etc).

She had an affair and is now with the other man so she will not admit to that sort of things but said she will admit about the dating and pre-serious-problems part of the marriage.

I am not sure if that sort of letter is enough?

Thanks.

Hi,

My USC wife and I are divorced now. I am going to file the 751 myself and I need to get an affidavit from her (and I am also getting another from her sister who got us together initially) about the validity of our marriage. Is there some site where I can look at how the affidavit should look like (i.e. format, notarized or not, etc).

She had an affair and is now with the other man so she will not admit to that sort of things but said she will admit about the dating and pre-serious-problems part of the marriage.

I am not sure if that sort of letter is enough?

Thanks.

Comment

Can anyone help please?

Any idea on how it shud look? I know it shud have name, birthdate, relationship etc. But beyond that should it be a narrative or jst formally explaining the marriage? I want to make sure INS gets all info they feel is needed and not make up excuses such as insufficient explanation in these papers.

Comment

It should be a narrative and should go like:
        I .... do hereby affirm the following to be true:

1.That my name is....
        2.That my address is ........
        3.That my address is ..........
        4.That I know ....since...( eg 100 years)
        5.That my knowledge of ... is based on ...eg is my brother
        6.That am aware that ... and ... got married in ... and have lived together at ...st, town, state, zip
        7.That I solemnly affirm the above to be the whole truth,

signed this day----------- 2003 in front of ------------(notary public)

The above is a guide.

Comment

Sorry no.3 above should be the date of birth.

Comment

I assume my ex-wife will also have to include how/why we divorced, how we met etc? Will the other people also have to comment on their knowledge of divorce? What if one of the people in the affidavit move away & the INS is unable to contact them? will it then be dismissed as invalid?

Comment

I dont get you here.

You know only do the affidavit if you are still married, to show that you are still together todate. If you are married, I think you just need to show that your marriage was true and real for the time it lasted eg evidence of leases and stuff like that.

Comment

About the people you show on the affidavit, I dont think they will call them or write to them and stuff like that, but they can require that if theres an interview, you attend with the people who signed the affidavits.

Comment

I am divorced now and I was advised both by INS and non-profit Legal agencies to get affidavit(s) from everyone who knew about our marriage including my ex-wife. I am filing the paperwork alone not jointly hence extra-caution.

Comment

Yes u gotta do that one right. There the burden of proof is on you.

See if you are still married, the burden of prooof is on BCIS-not INS to proove that your marriage is not real.

But if you are divorced, the burden is for you to prove that your marriage was real, hence more evidence needed.
                    Can you talk your wife into going to the interview or doing an affidavit for you? Who know what may follow that evening.. like 'catching up on times lost'?

Comment

Yea I have enough documents *I think*. My ex-wife collected almost all the paperwork and our marriage ended in a pretty ugly way. But, we have progressed to be on speaking terms and she will do the affidavit part but she's already dating another guy (getting over me after splitting up jst 5 months ago oh well thats life) so we are definately not getting back. Does she has to come to interview even if i am filing alone? Is her affidavit considered sufficient proof for me? If she gets married to another person will it be considered bad?

Comment

If I were you and I get called to the interview, I would sweet talk her to take me there. About dating someone else, chances are he was seeing the same person when you guys were together so its not a surprise.

Comment

I will call and ask if they will allow my ex-wife to provide any proof on my behalf when I get called. Things change though and can't expect her to be friendly next year thats why just getting an affidavit and going to take any personal presence as an unexpected help.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation