Happy New Year & more visas for illegals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people are scapegoating illegal aliens. Overstaying is a minor violation in comparison to not paying taxes, trading drugs, theft or traffic violation.

Comment

Melanie--as I've said in another thread, to get the visa, it will be necessary to show that no Americans are available to do the work. In other words, professionals not working in their profession will have go through the same labor test that legal immigrants would. Illegal aliens already working in a job would get a visa on the presumption that an employer could not get an American.

If your profession were in such hot demand, I would have thought you could have gotten yourself an H1-B or other legal sponsorship years ago.

Comment

Will those new visa holders be able to switch to another type of visa like H1B or L1?

Comment

There's been nothing so far about that, and I suspect that's the kind of detail that will end up being discussed in Congress--if legislation even gets formulated. Remember--this is just Bush's proposal and probably made largely as a grand stand play to get votes. Congress makes the laws.

Comment

moonie-

"A "chance" to adjust through bypassing the entire immigration system that others have to go through."

They go through the AOS process while here......

"You call that "chance", I call that "special rights for criminals"."

Nah, they go through the AOS process...

"Why can't an illegal go through the same system as everyone else, if we forgive them for their previous violations?"

How is anything "forgiven"?? Their punishment is the fine.

"Why are they so special?"

Who said they are??

"Life isn't fair, but we're talking out IMMIGRATION SYSTEM. Which should be fair, cuz we're the ones who create and administer it."

Yes, all aspects of life SHOULD be fair.

"If I apply for the IS, i'm not going to deny people and just go "hey life ain't fair, deal with it"."

Who is telling you to?

"We're more intelligent of a society to not stoop to such 3rd grade thinking."

Nah, it's called reality. What, are you telling me life IS fair??
            Crying about it is 3rd grade mentality!!!

"We are a nation of laws, freedoms and principles. What message are we sending to others who break laws then?"

By doing what??

"Hell, i want an amnesty on my previous speeding tickets dammit. I mean, i see speeders all the time and there will ALWAYS be speeders!!"

Yes and when those speeders are caught, they are FINED!!!!!!!!! Oh, so when people are forced to pay a fine for breaking the law (speeding) they are rewarded right?? Genius.

Anyways, silly argument. Millions here are still here.

Comment

aliba-

"Reina--No need to round up illegals. Deport 'em as they find 'em."

Who the police?? Nah.

"The rest get to stay here, and worry that the INS will come across them, or that any violation of the law can send them packing."

Cute, but not gonna happen.

Cayita-I'm a little curious as to where you got this stat:

"90% of Latins are illegal, 9% residents and only 1% citizens (I meantion latins as an example because I dont know the stats of other nations)."

So, 1% of all Latino people in the US are citizens?? Where is that from??

"That means only 1% (or around that) can actually vote. Bush wasnts that 1% happy but he wont risk the other citizens votes."

Is that Census data?

Comment

"Why can't an illegal go through the same system as everyone else?"
                Every illegal alien should be allowed to apply again for a brand new visa. Current legal system says once you are out of status you cannot apply anymore - this is wrong.
                Because we have no way to get any kind of visa we have to continue living out of status until we are dead.
                Every visa holder should be informed what is legal and what is not legal. I simply threw out I-94 as I thought it was unneeded piece of paper right after my entry and my visa was three years long and I thought I could have stayed for 3 years looking for a new work.

Comment

Melanie--It's your responsibility to ask what you have to do, and to be sure you get answers.

I've worked overseas, in the Middle East, where the bureaucratic mess is far worse than the US. I at least had the great good sense to ask what I needed to do, and avoided any major problems.

You asked earlier about professionals. There's an update of the details of Bush's plan at this website:
                  http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0040106-3.html

re: your question about professionals. The visa as envisioned is employment-based and for one "sector" only. Meaning you can't go from working as a waitress, for example, to teaching school or computer programming.

Comment

Aliba has valid points. When you buy a house, wouldn't you ask the question needed to be ask about owning a house? When you sign a contract, wouldnt you read up the contract and familiarize yourself with what you gotten into?

And illegal does have the recourse to apply for new visa. They have just to exit the US, be subjected for the temporary ban and return lawfully with a new visa.

Stop blaming the US for mess you're in. You choose to be in this mess when you decided to broke the law and continue to stay in the US illegally and now are paying the price. If there's anyone to blame, it couldn't be anyone else but you.

As for minor violations, people go to jail for tax evasion, drug trafficking and child abuse, even for misdeamenor act. Would you rather prefer the US govt imprisoned all the illegals rather than just deport them back to native country? Pretty stupid, imo.

Comment

• I was just reading the new legislation.

Oh my god, people who file LC's and employment based gc appliations, pay thousands in lawyers fees and wait 5-7 years msut be feelig like idiots right now!

My friend has an h1b. I told him he can work for me "illegally" just to be able to use that system and get his gc way faster!

-= nav =-

Comment

• SKS--Keep on dreaming yourself. Didn't take much to scare several thousand Pakistani illegals into heading for Canada or back home. And think of all those illegal immigrants in California who so desperately want driver's licenses, were so close--and then got shut out by the voters. Make voters angry enough, particularly in the pocket book, and they can get mighty nasty about things that they hadn't cared much about before, such as illegal immigration.

Some state and local police agencies are already training to enforce immigration law, and the Clear Act in Congress would offer training and money for them to do it. Plus, good ol' Dubya is including tougher enforcement in his "immigration reform" plan in order to get it adopted. Of course, anyone who's fool enough to sign up for his plan risks not being able to get a green card, and being more easily tracked and deported.

It'll be interesting to see how Bush persuades Congress to even pass his plan, with a jobless recovery, about 9 million unemployed, massive federal budget deficits, and states such as California on the verge of bankruptcy. "Guest workers"? Who needs "guest workers" except employers who want cheap labor?

Comment

• Aliba-

"SKS--Keep on dreaming yourself. Didn't take much to scare several thousand Pakistani illegals into heading for Canada or back home."

Yeah, ok. When will I start seeing a 10 million person exodus? That's ok, wishful thinking is good for the heart!!

"And think of all those illegal immigrants in California who so desperately want driver's licenses, were so close--and then got shut out by the voters."

Yet, they still drive........without insurance as well. Very brilliant. So, lets see, before the law was passed many drove. The law was repealed, many still drive. So, was anything really done??

"Make voters angry enough, particularly in the pocket book, and they can get mighty nasty about things that they hadn't cared much about before, such as illegal immigration."

Ok, sounds real cute.

"Some state and local police agencies are already training to enforce immigration law, and the Clear Act in Congress would offer training and money for them to do it."

California, with a large immigrant population sure as hell ain't doing that. CHP, nope. And LAPD, nope. Keep dreaming though.....

"Plus, good ol' Dubya is including tougher enforcement in his "immigration reform" plan in order to get it adopted."

Ahhhh, yes, that is what we call lipservice. Heard it all before.........

"Of course, anyone who's fool enough to sign up for his plan risks not being able to get a green card, and being more easily tracked and deported."

HA, you should also save some of this material for a comedy routine.

"It'll be interesting to see how Bush persuades Congress to even pass his plan, with a jobless recovery, about 9 million unemployed, massive federal budget deficits, and states such as California on the verge of bankruptcy."

I find it amusing that our policymakers are proposing plans and ideas that are completely in the opposite direction of deportations! Meanwhile people like you dont' recognize that, kinda funny to see.....and a little sad.

Comment

• Actually, I would'nt mind supporting Bush's proposed plan with 1 condition. Make those illegals that are entitled to this "work visa" exit the US first and then be admitted legally. Hopefully this will encourage lots of them to switch permanently to a more legal status. Then the government can proceed to process the remaining illegals with much higher fine for both the illegals and the employers.

But yes, this will be a tough sell in an economy such as this one. Immigration is a delicate matter, and if the backlash is big enough, I don't know if Bush will risk alienating his republican base just to get the hispanic votes. He's not that popular among hispanic to begin with.

Comment

• According to SKS, we should all just roll over and play dead and open our borders to everyone on the planet. Cuz "they'll get in eventually anyways".

Great logic.

-= nav =-

Comment

• btw: The President has the right to introduce legislation as anyone else. That doesn't mean it'll get approved. In fact, almost every politician they had on TV was against it. So chances of getting approved in congress is very little.

-= nav =-

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed