Happy New Year & more visas for illegals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An L1 visa is never a dual-intent visa. If you enter on a L1 visa and your employer doesn't have any work for you, what gives you the right to stay and work here illegaly?
    In my view, you choose to break US law and stay here illegaly, not that much different fromthe border crosser. Why should you be treated differently?

Comment

L1 or H1 company broke the law by inviting an alien without any employment offer in hand not me.
      Before arriving to US an alien is not aware about any immigration rules in the extreme case like mine.
      Why did not my employer apply for a work visa offering me a job?
      It is not my responsibility?
      Those who have family ties in USA and can support themselves should be allowed to stay here.
      If I have a lot of job offers why do you want me to leave US or why you prevent me from obtaing a new work visa if there is a plenty work for me??? Who will do that work if not me?

Comment

Aliba-

"Secondly, we tried amnesty in 1986. That experience proved amnesties are not a solution to illegal immigration."

Without a stronger border, nothing will work. Bad example....

"Instead of 2.7 million or so illegal aliens, we now have 4-5 times that many, plus the millions of poor,"

Ditto.

".... uneducated immigrants who have been sponsored by those amnestied in 1986, and who are now clogging the immigration system..."

So, you now have a problem with people doing things the legal way?? Nice logic...

"... and ending up in our overcrowded schools and on welfare roles."

Are you speaking of those amnestied?? Moot point, since they are legal.

"As for an earlier comment (perhaps yours), on calling "racists" people who single out Mexicans for discussion of illegal immigration--then Vicente Fox and George W. Bush are racists, for they're the ones who keep pushing for amnesties for illegal aliens from Mexico."

Nice try. When did Bush state all illegal immigrants are from Mexico?? Nah, nice spin though....

"Any "racism" is in the framing of amnesty proposals, and claims by Bush etc."

How so??

"....that Mexicans in particular deserve amnesty because they are "hard-working" and have "family values"--a description which applies to the millions from various countries waiting to come legally."

Who said it only applies to Mexicans??

Yada yada yada yada yada. Thus, we do nothing right?? Just don't complain to me!

Someone12-

"thank you for having a voice of reason."

More like a voice of pie in the sky

"I agree with you that the proposal that illegals pony up a paltry $1500 "fine" will NOT discourage anyone from attempting to enter the US illegally or remain here after entering legally (like with a tourist visa)."

It isn't meant to discourage moreso than to punish.....Discourage with a stronger border and better oversight. That way those who wish to overstay can't!!

"SKS obviously knows nothing about our immigration processes - the $1500 "fine" will lead the illegal to a GC -"

When did I say otherwise?? You said it, it will LEAD to a GC. That is if the immigrant satisfies all the requirements in the AOS process, like any other person. Nice try.

"the unlawful presence, unauthorized employment, visa fraud or whatever will be FORGIVEN under this proposal - that is a REWARD you dumba$$ goose (not you Cayita)."

Nothing is forgiven. The punishment is the fine.......geez, where did you people go to school!!? Take some lessons in logic, please.

"Let's talk about fines....raise it $50,000 or $100,000 (and no checks, please)...or offer a choice....$100,000 fine or SY-OH-NARA - leave the US and face the inadmissability, ineligibilities, etc."

Real cute, still thinking about that stand-up comedian routine!!? Yada yada yada yada yada, much ado about nothing. Those here, still here.

"As I have said and as Cayita has said, listening to these weeping illegals and their supporters who cannot believe that the lawbreakers should be either deported or whatever instead of rewarded with permanent residency is absolutely amazing."

Paying a fine is a "reward"?

What is amazing is that people like you go on with this rhetoric, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, meanwhile millions here are still here and more enter. Get a serious clue....reality hurts sometimes.

"Imagine bank robbers who collect a bag of cash instead of a jail sentence - car thieves who receive a new car when caught car******* -"

Idiotic analogy, having nothing to do with anything.....

"...check kiters receiving a new checking account full of money - yet as absurd as these "rewards" would be to most people, the idea of handing out essentially free GC's ($1500 is a tiny tiny price to pay for this object)"

Raise the fine then....

"....seems logical to the whiners (both illegals and their supporters)..."

What seems logical?? Paying fines?? sure does. Then you must feel that the other hundreds of our laws punishable by fine are "rewards." Kinda ignorant......

"....and no one has provided any rationale for doing so except by hauling out the sympathy card (oh those poor children) or the "he/she is a paragon of our community even though they have been working with phoney SSn's, fraudulent driver's licenses and stolen credit cards" --"

Rationale for doing what??

"what about all the Americans out of work --"

Plenty of jobs to be had, at least in LA. Why not focus your anger on the AMERICAN businesses that hire those illegals?? Nah, lets just blame the immigrants, more easier and fun!

"why not support your fellow citizens first?"

How are they not supported??

"Again, thank you Cayita...."

yeah, thanks for meaningless rhetoric. Keep your head in the sand while reality passes you by.....

Lets see, those millions here, yep, still here. More have entere, overstayed, and drive. See any feds conducting house raids or checkpoints?
        Nah, didn't thinks so.

Comment

someone12

"No....so why should we dole out waivers for illegal aliens just because illegals would otherwise be separated from their illegal bretheren? No reason I can think of....."

You have a problem with our policy, blame our policymakers!! Are there any illegal immigrants in congress?? Ask them why waivers are given, let me know what they say...

Comment

Your employer didn't offer any job, hence broke the term of your contract with them. Your beef is with your former employer. You could obey the law and exit US, but you chose to stay. In the eye of the law you intentionally overstay and broken the immigration law. On this aspect, you're guilty, as simple as that.

Comment

American legal system forgives not paying taxes (tax amnesties), theft, murder (OJ Sympson), sexual abuse (Michael Jackson) but never forgives an overstaying a visa?!?

Comment

SKS,

To your question, "where do I went to school?", I will answer you:

- I attended a private american school in my country (very expensive and with an excellent academic reputation).
                - I attended the best private (and oldest) Law School and graduated with honors.
                - I am a Fulbright scholar.
                - Besides English, I speak Spanish, French and Italian.

I am extremely well educated. My opinions are based in Economic Analysis of Law, a theory used at Yale, Princeton, etc and developed by Nobel Prize Ronald Coase, among other.

I dont own the truth but my opinions are not based on feeling, emotions or personal convenience.

Comment

OJ Simpson was aquitted by a jury of his peers.
                  Michael Jackson? Settled first incident out of court. Second incident is yet to be tried.

Talk about Ridgeway....

Comment

SKS--You very obviously don't read the newspapers, if you haven't read that the main thrust of efforts in Congress is to legalize agricultural workers, who, the sponsors themselves claim, are primarily Hispanic and largely Mexican. Furthermore, Dubya himself has repeatedly supported some form of "legalization" on the basis that many illegal aliens are "hard-working" Mexicans, not "terrorists". In fact, the recent effort he announced is because he's hoping to have something to show Vicente Fox when he visits Mexico this week.

As for amnesty--you're right, the problem with the 1986 program was that they didn't follow through on border enforcement. But then, they're not doing that now, and have no plans as part of the proposed amnesty programs ("guest worker", DREAM Act, etc.) to increase enforcement. So, the only result of amnesty this time around would be to increase the number of people coming illegally, and make eligible for welfare programs literally millions of people who don't have the education or skills to support themselves even if they were here legally. And wouldn't pay nearly enough in taxes (would probably get money back) to cover the social services they and their children will use. [And no, they won't be able to get higher paying jobs, because the continuing flow of illegal immigrants will have newly legalized aliens competing against the new illegals.]

Comment

Melanie--The amnesties you cite let you off the hook somewhat for past offenses, but they don't "legalize" your behavior. The tax amnesties I've heard about don't let you avoid paying the taxes you owe, but do forgive you the penalties. And they sure don't let you keep on committing the crime.

The only "amnesty" I'd go for would be lifting of the 3- and 10-year bars, meaning that if you're here illegally, you can go home and apply to come back legally without penalty. Letting people leave the country without penalty is the form of amnesty I've heard of in countries such as Dubai or in Asia.

As for your comment about other countries offering ways for illegal aliens to "legalize", we do, too. If you entered legally and overstayed, you can adjust status by marrying a US citizen. Or, if you wait until your US citizen kids are 21, and can support you, they can sponsor you. Or, you can get thrown into deportation proceedings and apply for an "extreme hardship" waiver, if you have a US citizen child or spouse. So, there are ways--they just don't happen to be ways that are necessarily convenient or pleasant.

Comment

AliBA wrote: "If you entered legally and overstayed, you can adjust status by marrying a US citizen."
                        You encourage me to do a marriage fraud.

"Or, if you wait until your US citizen kids are 21, they can sponsor you."
                        I will have to stay illegally in US another 15 years!!!!

"Or, you can get thrown into deportation proceedings and apply for an "extreme hardship" waiver."
                        No way to prove an extreme hardship except poor economical situation in my country of birth.

Comment

cayita-

"To your question, "where do I went to school?", I will answer you:"

Why not answer the others as well?

"- I attended a private american school in my country (very expensive and with an excellent academic reputation).
                          - I attended the best private (and oldest) Law School and graduated with honors.
                          - I am a Fulbright scholar.
                          - Besides English, I speak Spanish, French and Italian.I am extremely well educated."

If what you say is true , then you must have slept through your logic class! How is it that paying a fine is a "reward"? Are all the laws in the US that are punishable by fines, "rewards"?

"My opinions are based in Economic Analysis of Law, a theory used at Yale, Princeton, etc and developed by Nobel Prize Ronald Coase, among other.I dont own the truth but my opinions are not based on feeling, emotions or personal convenience."

They are certainly based on unrealistic nonsense..........anybody can state laws and otherwise, but then why aren't they enforced??

Anyways, use your education to figure out that the millions here, are here to stay. More enter, overstay, and drive as we speak.

Aliba-

"...In fact, the recent effort he announced is because he's hoping to have something to show Vicente Fox when he visits Mexico this week."

Exacly, has nothing to do with Bush being racist, only that he is to meet with the head of Mexico.....

"As for amnesty--you're right, the problem with the 1986 program was that they didn't follow through on border enforcement. But then, they're not doing that now, and have no plans as part of the proposed amnesty programs ("guest worker", DREAM Act, etc.)to increase enforcement."

Exactly, and I am not a fan of that......Moreover, this only proves my point that nothing serious will get done. This is a far cry from ordering massive deportations!!!

"So, the only result of amnesty this time around would be to increase the number of people coming illegally, and make eligible for welfare programs literally millions of people who don't have the education or skills to support themselves even if they were here legally."

A stronger border is what I also advocate.....also, I admire that you now realize that many more will enter, thank you for facing reality.

"And wouldn't pay nearly enough in taxes (would probably get money back) to cover the social services they and their children will use."

Moot point...............based on what you previously stated, seems like a foregone conclusion.

"[And no, they won't be able to get higher paying jobs, because the continuing flow of illegal immigrants will have newly legalized aliens competing against the new illegals.]"

Whatever the case may be, those here are still here and will remain.....

For those of you blinded by rhetoric, reality is on my side. Legalization in some form is what is most likely to happen. Yet, you guys can believe what you wish until the cows come home. But meanwhile, back at the ranch, grandma is baking a pie.........and the millions here aren't going anywhere!!! Eventually, you must face reality.

Comment

>and the millions here aren't going >anywhere!!! Eventually, you must face reality.

Yes and no.

You are correct, the US *IS* making HUGE changes to it's immigration agency, and border security is #1 RIGHT now. Enforcement, new technology, etc. is all being implemented to ensure ZERO TOLERANCE on people trying to enter illegaly.

That is good.

ONCE the border is DEADBOLTED -- *THEN* (and only then) the issue of the illegals who are here can be visited.

Only then can the debate be brought up. Chances are -- they'll be given amnesty on their criminal violations, but they'll have to go through the immigration process like everyone else. There's no such thing as free gc's.

It's only fair.

-= nav =-

Comment

moonie

"You are correct, the US *IS* making HUGE changes to it's immigration agency, and border security is #1 RIGHT now."

Believe it when I see it........

"Enforcement, new technology, etc. is all being implemented to ensure ZERO TOLERANCE on people trying to enter illegaly."

How so?? Border patrol isn't even hiring right now??

Lipservice.......what are we looking at here, couple of years??

"That is good."

If actually done, yes.....

"ONCE the border is DEADBOLTED -- *THEN* (and only then)"

When?? Years??

"Only then can the debate be brought up. Chances are -- they'll be given amnesty on their criminal violations, but they'll have to go through the immigration process like everyone else. There's no such thing as free gc's."

And that is EXACTLY what 245(i) is, a chance to adjust here, nothing is free. Although they won't be forgiven for anything, they must be fined.

"It's only fair."

Welcome back from Fantasyland, hopefully it will be for awhile.

Comment

Is there a shortage of low skilled workers in the United States: on our farms, construction sites, in our stores and restaurants?
                                YES, if so than why not to hire those who are currently present in USA and if they currently working USA?
                                Is there a visa type for a low skilled worker? NO, that is why the 10 milions work illegally because there is a gap in your laws!!!!!

It is better to give work visas for illegal aliens than bringing 10 milion new low skilled workers from abroad – that is what your president wants to do now!!!!!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation