Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting married

I'm USC engaged and planning on getting married in mexico next year if the research that I've done is right after we get married I need to file an I-130 get recipt then file for K visa after my future wife comes to US then file form 129F and then (may be at the same time I don't know)form 485 is this correct? how long will it take to get visa K? my future wife has a visitor's visa, shortly after we get married I will need to return to US if she comes and "visits" me using her visitor's visa while the process I described above is that going on is there going to be a problem, or will she be okay as long as she doesn't overstay (she may have to go back and return for another visit to get another 6 month or 3 month permit)THANK YOU!!

I'm USC engaged and planning on getting married in mexico next year if the research that I've done is right after we get married I need to file an I-130 get recipt then file for K visa after my future wife comes to US then file form 129F and then (may be at the same time I don't know)form 485 is this correct? how long will it take to get visa K? my future wife has a visitor's visa, shortly after we get married I will need to return to US if she comes and "visits" me using her visitor's visa while the process I described above is that going on is there going to be a problem, or will she be okay as long as she doesn't overstay (she may have to go back and return for another visit to get another 6 month or 3 month permit)THANK YOU!!

Comment

I am not 100% on your situation, but have you considered a fiance visa, and getting married in the states? If it is possible this is your best option (you can always just get married civilly here and hold the ceremony in Mexico)

Comment

I think Spouse is right in suggesting that you better apply for a fiance visa for your girlfriend and get married here in the 3 month period it gives. That will be the easiest and fastest way, as well as the safest one...If you get married outside USA she CANNOT use her visitor's visa to visit you, since it is a NONIMMIGRANT visa...Or, she can visit you and you get married here, but not sooner than 60 days after she entered USA, and then you file for AOS (adjustment of status) after the marriage, that way she can stay here while it's being processed
        Good luck,
        Red

Comment

Thanks for you info,is her family tradition not to live together untill after the religius ceremony if I apply for fiance's visa get married by a J.P. in the USA can she travel to Mexico to get married by the church and be allowed back to USA? if so about how long it takes to get fiance's visa? and how long will it take to get green card? assuming that we get married in the US one week after she gets visa.I've known my fiance all my life my parent' are from the small community where she lives and we visit often is like my second home town,THANK YOU ALL

Comment

Yes she'll be able to return home after you get married. Once you are married, apply for AOS and also advance parole (she needs this in order to re-enter the country). She can leave as soon as she receives the approval for advance parole (time varies, but it doesn't take long).

I copied and pasted the following section from a website. You can find more FAQs about K1 from http://www.k1faq.com/

----------
            The K1 visa enables US Citizens to bring their foreign fiance(e)s to the United States in order to get married.
            The K2 visa allows unmarried children (under age 21) of the fiance(e) to move to the US as well.

The K1 visa is not an end in itself. It is only a single step in a procedure for obtaining permanent residency (a green card) based on a marriage to a US Citizen after entry. The steps involved in immigrating to the US via a K1 visa can be generally described as follows:

1. The US Citizen files the I-129F petition for the foreign fiance(e). Approval is required before the fiance(e) may apply for the K1 visa. The petition phase is very straightforward. Approval timelines vary thru the Service Centers, anywhere from one to three months.

2. After the I-129F has been approved, the fiance(e) has 4 months to obtain the K1 Visa at the US Consulate in the foreign country. This time period can be extended by a consular officer if required. The visa application process is generally similar in all countries, altho each Consulate will vary a bit in their requirements. Every K1 applicant will have a unique story to tell about how they got their visa.

3. Once you have the K1 Visa it is good for one entry into the United States within 6 months. A K2 may enter up to one year after the K1, but a K2 may not enter the U.S. prior to the K1.

4. Once in the United States, you have 90 days to get married (see "Special Note" at question 3.7)

5. Immediately after marriage, you must apply for an Adjustment of Status, Form I-485, to become a permanent resident. You will also apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), and "advance parole" in case you want to travel outside the United States and re-enter before getting your green card.
            .....And then...

6. You may wait a year or more to be interviewed for "Conditional" Permanent Resident status (green card).

7. After two more years, you apply to have the "Conditional" status removed.

8. Further on down the road, you can apply to become an American citizen (naturalization).

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation