X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umesh your view please

Umesh,
    My Indian passport is expiring in the next 3 months so I want to renew it. I called the Indian consulate here in Chicago and he said that it would take 4-5 days to issue me a new one. My only concern is that I have my life in that passport (visa, I-94, stamps from ins and other important seals) of course I will make copies of all the pages just incase if the consulate for some reason looses my passport or anything like that. My question is he said bring your old passport now do I have to also give him the I-94 card clipped on the expired US visa? Just scared of loosing anything. I have a AOS case pending with a USC wife. Thanks a lot.

Mehta

Umesh,
    My Indian passport is expiring in the next 3 months so I want to renew it. I called the Indian consulate here in Chicago and he said that it would take 4-5 days to issue me a new one. My only concern is that I have my life in that passport (visa, I-94, stamps from ins and other important seals) of course I will make copies of all the pages just incase if the consulate for some reason looses my passport or anything like that. My question is he said bring your old passport now do I have to also give him the I-94 card clipped on the expired US visa? Just scared of loosing anything. I have a AOS case pending with a USC wife. Thanks a lot.

Mehta

Comment

You do not have to submit your I-94 for renewal of your passport. Best thing it you must go to Indican Consulate early in the morning and deposit your renewal application and old passport. You will be able to collect the same in the evening. If your passport is marked final then you will need to fill application for new passport. Still if you will deposit in the morning you will get in the evening and in that event they will also return your old passport alongwith new one.
      Good luck.

Comment

Hi Umesh,
        Thank you so much for the quick response. The Indian consulate says since the passport was issued 10 years ago they cannot renew it (I don't see any word FINAL written on the passport anywhere). They will have to make a new one for me. And hence the 4-5 days wait. Thank you so much for the information

Mehta

Comment

If a Passport is issued for 10 years, that is considered final.So you must apply for a new one and you will submit your old passport also with your application. It is usually issued same day, if submitted before 11.00 a.m. and if it is submitted by mail then it takes 4 - 5 working days to process.

Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed