Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unmarried, adult illegal alien

Hi I am an unmarried, 24 year old illegal alien currently in the us, my mom is filing an I130 for me and i was wondering how long does it take to get approved. she is a green card holder

Hi I am an unmarried, 24 year old illegal alien currently in the us, my mom is filing an I130 for me and i was wondering how long does it take to get approved. she is a green card holder

Comment

About 5-6 years. Goodluck.

Comment

5-6 yrs.? I doubt that....

It all depends how you entered the U.S.;
        if you're right now illegally present (meaning that you entered without any valid visa AND without inspection) then you will more likely be removed - an adjustment of status is rather impossible by law.
        The only exception would be if you were brought here as a young child, have at least 10 yrs. of provable presence, high school diploma, good moral character and show a lot of other conflicts (extreme and unusual hardship+) that would arise from your removal to legal residents or U.S. citizen family members. Good luck!

Comment

I came here legally on a visitor's visa, i just oerstayed my welcome. Are you sure an I130 takes that long?

Comment

my brother(reside outside US) applied thru my mother(green card holder) 7 years ago in California, but still didn't get it.

good luck.

Comment

If you were in your country, it would take between 5-6 years, but since your in America it could possible take longer.

Comment

We would like to thank all who lied, cheated and overstayed their promise to abide by the rules and put all of us at risk by creating this problem. You wonder why your not welcomed here????

By Diane Lindquist
                STAFF WRITER

November 28, 2003

A Homeland Security Department official said last week that he doesn't know if the agency will be able to track the exit of foreign visitors at the nation's 50 busiest land ports, including San Ysidro, Otay Mesa and Calexico, by its Dec. 31, 2004, deadline.

"We are trying our best to meet the minimum requirement of the law," said James Williams, program manager for the new entry-exit tracking program known as U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology (US-VISIT).

Congress mandated the program after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to improve the collection of information on foreigners who travel to the United States. The legislators also required that advanced equipment – including machines that can read biometric identifiers, such as fingerprints – be installed at all ports of entry to provide border inspectors instant access to law enforcement databases.

Williams said US-VISIT will be able to comply with its Dec. 31, 2003, deadline for tracking foreigners who enter the country at the largest airports and seaports, although the program won't be activated until the following week. Technology for tracking visitors' exits at airports and seaports will be phased in next year as funding allows.

The program also is on track to meet a Dec. 31, 2004, deadline for installing new technology at the 50 busiest land ports to check entries into the United States.

But processing visitors when they leave the country by land is more challenging.

During a visit to San Diego on Nov. 17 to publicize US-VISIT, Williams said he doesn't know what equipment will be installed at the land crossings to track exits and isn't certain the work can be done by the Dec. 31, 2004, deadline.

Most Canadians are exempt from the new border controls, so the greatest impact at land ports of entry will be along the U.S.-Mexico border.

For people who cross at San Ysidro, the world's busiest border crossing, the new system increases concern that waits will grow even longer.

"The worst-case scenario is they're going to stop everyone," said Maria Luisa O'Connell, president of the Border Trade Alliance, which works to promote trade activity at the U.S. and Canadian borders.

But Williams said the new procedures will probably apply only to foreigners whose visas are currently processed at secondary inspection, such as those from the Mexican interior or from other countries.

"Our strong recommendation is that initially it does not" include those who have border crossing cards, Williams said.

Between 60 percent and 70 percent of the Mexicans who use the southern ports of entry hold border crossing cards, O'Connell said.

If the new technology works, she said, it could actually cut wait times for those with the cards.

"It might be an opportunity for the border if it's correctly implemented," she said.

The deadline for processing both entries and exits at the 115 other land crossings is Dec. 31, 2005.

Whether visitors are passing through by air, sea or land ports, additional processing times should amount to a maximum of 10 seconds, Williams said.

"We're not going to do anything that is operationally crazy," he said. "We're not going to do anything that is going to slow down traffic on either exit or entry."

The program's challenging goals and technological costs were criticized in a recent General Accounting Office report.

"US-VISIT is a risky undertaking because it is to support a critical mission, its scope is large and complex, it must meet a demanding implementation schedule and its potential cost is enormous," GAO officials said.

The report said US-VISIT doesn't have the staff to manage the program and lacks a proper governing structure.

About 50 of a total 115 employees have been hired so far, Williams said.

Williams said that he has made strides in addressing the staffing and governance issues and that he hopes private industry will provide much of the technological expertise the system needs. A request for proposals will be issued next week and a contract is expected to be awarded in May.

The GAO report said projected costs for the program range from $6.2 billion to more than $20 billion over 20 years. Williams said he believes $3 billion to $10 billion is a good cost estimate.

Lawmakers allocated $380 million for US-VISIT for fiscal 2003 and $330 million for fiscal 2004.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation