Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 duration of stay

Hi, I have I-20 that expires on Feb 2003. If I decided to leave the school before the expiration date, how many days can I stay here? I mean I want to go, in stead, this non profit based school which I suspect that they don't give you I-20. I have FI visa that lasts untill March 2003.

Hi, I have I-20 that expires on Feb 2003. If I decided to leave the school before the expiration date, how many days can I stay here? I mean I want to go, in stead, this non profit based school which I suspect that they don't give you I-20. I have FI visa that lasts untill March 2003.

Comment

Hmmm.......I think you have a grace period of 60 days after your F1 visa expires, when you can change/apply for another visa. But note, that you might have the 2 year home residency requirement. (or not!) It should say in your passport, something like "THE BEARER IS SUBJECT TO TWO YEAR HOME RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT." Or something very close to this statement. Good luck!
      and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! It's almost 2003! Woohoo!!!! And I'm getting old! AWWWW...
      Ps: Just to make myself happy, YOU'RE GETTING OLD TOO! BWHAHAHA! ;p (jk!)

Comment

If you quit school or abandon your course of study, you'll fall out of status and should leave the country immediately. In order to be eligible for the 60 days grace period (prepare to leave) you'll have to notify your current school of your intent. Talk to your DSO as you'll have more insights on that and stay on the safe side.
        Good Luck!

Comment

You meant that you want to transfer to another school, but you not sure if new school is certified by INS?

F1 visas don't have 2 year home residency requirement, it's just for J1 visas.

TTA was right you wouln't have 60 days grace period if you leave before graduating

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation