Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student or Asylum? Need help

I came to the US from Israel on a multiple tourist visa to visit my relatives. I was given 6 month stay permission at the airport. Now I would like to apply for a student visa.
    1.Would I be required to go back to Israel and re-enter the USA in order to adjust my status?
    2.Is there age requirement for a student visa?
    3. What are my chances to get political asylum? I am a citizen of Israel, repatriant from ex-USSR. I came to Israel 12years ago with my parents, who now returned back to Russia, as political situation in Israel is really bad and life-treatening.

Thank you for you help.

I came to the US from Israel on a multiple tourist visa to visit my relatives. I was given 6 month stay permission at the airport. Now I would like to apply for a student visa.
    1.Would I be required to go back to Israel and re-enter the USA in order to adjust my status?
    2.Is there age requirement for a student visa?
    3. What are my chances to get political asylum? I am a citizen of Israel, repatriant from ex-USSR. I came to Israel 12years ago with my parents, who now returned back to Russia, as political situation in Israel is really bad and life-treatening.

Thank you for you help.

Comment

1. Yes, unless you disclosed your intent to become a student during INS inspection at the port of entry.

2. No, as long as scholl accepts you and issues I-20.

3. Next to none.

Comment

1. After I get aproved for student visa, can I just go to e.g. Mexico to get my passport stamped or I need to return to Israel?

3. Why do you think it's next to impossible to get asylum?

Comment

From your inquiries, it seems like you want to stay here. Of the two "options" you want to take, the better path would be to go to school. I've been told political asylum is a VERY hard case to get approval.

I'm not sure what the details and all that is involved with applying for asylum. As for school, assuming you've already gotten accepted, advise with the school what they can do for you to get you enrolled. They should have the resources and procedures needed to issue you a student visa. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation