Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help--in US for 20 years, no green card

I came to the US as a teenager in summmer 1986 on a temporary visa (dependent of my parents). My parents soon left the US. I have been here ever since and have been careful to always remain legal. I have been on J visa, F visa, and now H1 visa.

I want to stay here, get a green card, and eventually become a citizen. I am a high school teacher in a critical shortage area. I have applied for a green card but am not very hopeful that it will go through before my H1 runs out. [I am still awaiting labor certification because of the backlogs].

The INS seems to have lots of programs to benefit illegals. My question is, is there any way I can get a green card also? It seems I am being penalized for being so careful to remain legal! One would think an immigrant like me who is involved in educating so many US citizen children would be valued by the US government.

In lieu of replying here you may also email me at cassiopaeia2000@yahoo.com

I came to the US as a teenager in summmer 1986 on a temporary visa (dependent of my parents). My parents soon left the US. I have been here ever since and have been careful to always remain legal. I have been on J visa, F visa, and now H1 visa.

I want to stay here, get a green card, and eventually become a citizen. I am a high school teacher in a critical shortage area. I have applied for a green card but am not very hopeful that it will go through before my H1 runs out. [I am still awaiting labor certification because of the backlogs].

The INS seems to have lots of programs to benefit illegals. My question is, is there any way I can get a green card also? It seems I am being penalized for being so careful to remain legal! One would think an immigrant like me who is involved in educating so many US citizen children would be valued by the US government.

In lieu of replying here you may also email me at cassiopaeia2000@yahoo.com

Comment

You are absolutely right. Here in the U.S., you get penalized for being legal. We too have been legal here on a business visa for 21 years this month. But our application for permanent residence was denied, my son and daughter turned 21 and are no longer dependents and have become illegal. I got back at them by firing all of my 17 employees today.

Comment

there must be something for the kids at least who have been here all their lives...did you check with a lawyer ??? why did not you get them a business visa as yr partner before they turn 21 ??
        Check with a good lawyer...I am sure there must be something for the kids...

Comment

sorry to ask this proof, but who exactly did you get back at? The government (who doesn't care and hasn't noticed) or all of your employees (who did nothing but work for you)? It seems to me that the best thing you can do is do the best you can. Becoming a permanent resident isn't easy for anyone, especially illegal immigrants.

At least you don't have anything against you (i.e. overstay, coming in illegally, being barred from the country) Think about these poor people who are married to USC but came in illegally, and therefore cannot work legally, are in constant fear of deportation and have no semblance of normal lives.

I am sorry that your situation is not what you would like it to be, and I am glad that you have followed the laws so far. Keep trying, don't be afraid to re-apply, etc.

and don't hesitate to talk to a lawyer or someone else who knows about the immigration law!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation