Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIB visa

I have an H1B petition pending with BCIS. I received a request for evidence requiring me to submit a proof that that position offered falls under the category of a specialty occupation. Specifically, the INS needs proof that the position offered to me is the industry standard for similar positions in similarly situated companies. The position I applied for is a Legal Consultant, which requires a four-year degree in college, considering the uniqueness and complexity of the work to be done in a law firm. I need an attestation from an employer, or law firms who has similarly hired a legal consultant in the office in the past or at present, and whose qualifications, and experiences, and description of duties and responsibilities match my own. Please help. Thanks.

I have an H1B petition pending with BCIS. I received a request for evidence requiring me to submit a proof that that position offered falls under the category of a specialty occupation. Specifically, the INS needs proof that the position offered to me is the industry standard for similar positions in similarly situated companies. The position I applied for is a Legal Consultant, which requires a four-year degree in college, considering the uniqueness and complexity of the work to be done in a law firm. I need an attestation from an employer, or law firms who has similarly hired a legal consultant in the office in the past or at present, and whose qualifications, and experiences, and description of duties and responsibilities match my own. Please help. Thanks.

Comment

What is your area of expertise? "Legal consultant" is a pretty vague term. Do you specialize in a technical area, like statistics, accident reconstruction, forensic evidence?

Most legal assistants and paralegals have four year degrees, but not all of them do. Also, there is no specific discipline or field of study that is required for entry into working in a law office. I know legal writers and paralegals with BAs in Sociology, Dance, Chemistry, International Relations, English,and other fields. All that's required is that they have excellent analytical skills, an ability to write, and good customer service. Most liberal arts degrees work for this purpose.

If the job requires a four year degree in "any" discipline, it probably doesn't qualify for H-1B, which requires a degree in a specialty that relates to the sponsored occupation.

Good luck.

Comment

It sounds like he's hiring you as a lawyer, not a research assistant. Most of the duties you describe are the duties of a lawyer, particularly legal research and writing briefs. In every immigration law firm I have encountered, these duties, are performed exclusively by lawyers and law clerks (usually 2nd or 3rd year law students, or persons waiting for the results of their bar exam.)

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation