•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Labor Certification Application and Salary

Hi,

I am about to pertition for H1B.

I am a sociologist, with and MA, and close to finishing a Ph.d (by July 2004).

I currently work as a Research Scientist/Analyst for a Public Health Informatics company, engaged in applied research.

What job title should I use in applying for H1B (Sociologist, Social Scientist, Research Analyst, Research Scientist).

And how do I go about Prevailing Wage Determination ? What sources are currently most acceptable?

How do I determine whether I am Level I or Level II ?

What about the salary level? What if the Level II salary quoted at DOL website is way above what my employer is paying me?

Would it be better to apply now - is the cap reached?

Thanks in advance for you assistance - Noela

Hi,

I am about to pertition for H1B.

I am a sociologist, with and MA, and close to finishing a Ph.d (by July 2004).

I currently work as a Research Scientist/Analyst for a Public Health Informatics company, engaged in applied research.

What job title should I use in applying for H1B (Sociologist, Social Scientist, Research Analyst, Research Scientist).

And how do I go about Prevailing Wage Determination ? What sources are currently most acceptable?

How do I determine whether I am Level I or Level II ?

What about the salary level? What if the Level II salary quoted at DOL website is way above what my employer is paying me?

Would it be better to apply now - is the cap reached?

Thanks in advance for you assistance - Noela

Comment

It is always better for your company to apply on your behalf for H-1B. Hopefully they will have their own attorneys. They will put in the appropriate job title, based on the salary they are offering you. If your salary is way below any of the categories that you have mentioned, you are ineligible for an H1. The bureau of labor determines wages, which you already know. The Cap hasn't been reached as yet.

Comment

You would probably be classified as a Level I for prevailing wage purposes if you use the OES survey (online). However, that's not the only survey you can use. You can use Dietrich, Watson Wyatt and several other surveys that are satisfactorily done to the standards prescribed by the DOL. However, like rb said, it is best that your employer utilize its own attorney to apply for your H-1B on your behalf.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

My employer (a small company) is not too enthusiastic about this H1B filling "complications", as they put it.

The employer likes TN1 because it is simpler to get - no complications. I came here I am here (as a Research Assistant) on TN1, and was just lucky to get through - but now I no longer want to count on luck.

So in short, my employer asked me to be personally responsible for all filling and attorney fees....

nice way to retain an employee, huh

thanks - anyhow - Noelam

Comment

Since you are already at school and completing Ph.D, why don't you speak with your international student advisor? S/he will help you with right advice and securing the services of a good lawyer. Lawyer fees would be about $2000. Application fee is about $140 for you and another 140 for spouse. With other expenses, the total amount may be about 4000-4500. Ask your employer to split the cost, as that is the norm. Plus, the employer is responsible for a certain small fee, being the sponsor.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation