when to file I-485/I-765/I-131 and I-864 and fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I-130 was approved and no we did not have to file the affidavit of support at that time. Now we are filling I-485 and it requires the affidavit of support. If I don't meet this can my sister help me out who lives in a different state not under the same household

Comment

Yes, you are allowed to have other sponsors on the Affadavit of Support.

Comment

living outside the household?

Comment

Yes. There aren't many restrictions on who can be a sponsor on an Affadavit of Support. They just need to prove their financial means (same as you). Sometimes people need more than two sponsors and that is okay too. USCIS is only interested that the alien not become a financial burden to the US.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The I-864 isn't required for the I-130 proud. Only for adjustment of status. The I-130 is just to tell USCIS that the person is a family member. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I stand corrected - thanks!!!

Comment

thank you for your help.. I am still not clear on this...Can a family member like my sister that does not live in my house or in the same state help with sponsoring my wife.

Comment

Hi Hajni,

Please click on the link below for more information on joint sponsorship. It doesn't matter where your sister lives; however, she must be able to prove she could support your wife at the required level of 125% above poverty line. You can't combine your income with hers, in other words, for the affadavit. At least one sponsor has to have enough income to support the immigrant.

http://www.immihelp.com/greenc...upport-relative.html

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SAMMY:
                  Anyone can be a sponsor for the purpose of I-864 if s/he is-

(1) either a US citizen or a LPR
                  (2) living in the US
                  (3) at least of 18 yrs of age
                  (4) making income or having assets that is required for the purpose of this form depending on the household size.

Also, keep it in mind that co-sponsor's income cannot be combined with anyone's income to meet the required income; instead co-sponsor should be eligible based on his/her income alone to sponsor the applicant.

That being said, your sister can be very much be a sponsor so long she meets all the above said eligibility requirements. Make sure to send the proof of legal status of co-sponsor along with form I-864...like either the copy of their US passport (biographical page) or if co-sponsor is a legal resident then the copy of green card; otherwise applicant will receive RFE.

If co-sponsor (joint sponsor) lives in the same house with applicant then s/he will be filing form I-864A, but if co-sponsor doesn't live in the same house with applicant then s/he must need to file form I-864.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hajni:
                  thank you for your help.. I am still not clear on this...Can a family member like my sister that does not live in my house or in the same state help with sponsoring my wife. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that's what I said in my reply. Oh well, good to have back up - lol!!!!

Comment

History of Indian Saree

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs