X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/10 year rule

Hi all,
    Back in Nov. 1998, I petitioned for my mother for adjustment of status. The case is still pending (unbelievable! but true). We did the application while her visa was valid. However, after waiting for six months, she had to return back home. It was an emmergency trip and she left without obtaining an Advance Parole. It is now over 4 years past and last week she tried getting a Vistor's visa to come back but she was denied for overstaying 5 mnths the last time she was here. Eventhough her visa was expired by the time she left her status was legal. She has no documentation to show the consulate that she was trying to adjust her status. I badly want her to come over for a wedding (in a mth). Any ideas? Since it's been 4 years since her "overstay", shouldn't they let her in? Your suggestions/comments are highly appreciated.

Hi all,
    Back in Nov. 1998, I petitioned for my mother for adjustment of status. The case is still pending (unbelievable! but true). We did the application while her visa was valid. However, after waiting for six months, she had to return back home. It was an emmergency trip and she left without obtaining an Advance Parole. It is now over 4 years past and last week she tried getting a Vistor's visa to come back but she was denied for overstaying 5 mnths the last time she was here. Eventhough her visa was expired by the time she left her status was legal. She has no documentation to show the consulate that she was trying to adjust her status. I badly want her to come over for a wedding (in a mth). Any ideas? Since it's been 4 years since her "overstay", shouldn't they let her in? Your suggestions/comments are highly appreciated.

Comment

part of the problem is that the last time she "visited" she likely told the embassy she was going for a short visit - instead,she attempted to change status and stayed far longer than she likely told them. Knowing that she tried to adjust or change status last time and that she did not do what she said she was going to do, why is the embassy supposed to believe anything different this time?
      Credibility means a lot in this situation and it is a hard commodity to "repair."

Comment

The embassy does not know she applied for adjustment of status. My mother is still under the impression that her case was denied/withdrawn because of her early departure. I only found out today that the case is still pending. The main question is since it has been over 4 years (assuming the 3 year rule applies here) shouldn't she be beyond the "penality" period?

Comment

deport illegal aliens

Comment

You apply for AOS while she was inStatus but when her vise expired she was overstayed. she will be able to adjust within the USA but if she leave the country according to the previous Law she abondoned the case.
            Thats my guess.

Comment

Just want to add;
              that possible if your mom returned her I-94 . because I-94 entry will finalize the date of departure. if Not and case is still pending then still she will have Bar 3-10 years, if she stayed more then 6mo and less then year bar will be 3 yrs and if overstay period is more then year then bar will be 10 years. if the bar period elapse still she has to file for waiver and write ( Bar period finished/completion on date xxxx).

Comment

Mohan,
                Thanks for your message. We are not too worried about the AOS anymore. We just want to retain her ability to come back for occasional visits. Again, since it has been over 4 years, shouldn't her 3 year barr be lifted?

Comment

Bar May already be lifted but she have to inform by filing form. Its not automatic.
                  if alien overstay and bared he should obtain waiver even the bar period is over. He have to inform the consulate that he was subjected to bar previously ( in the form of filling waiver)

Comment

There was no 3 yr bar that I was aware of from what you wrote - but, credibility is still the main issue and, on the back of the visa application that asks if anyone has filed an immigrant petition on her behalf -the answer there would be 'yes.' So, she is going to face 2 hurdles - explaining why the embassy should believe her if she says she is just going for a wedding or something, and that she is not going to try and change/adjust status again, just like the last time.

Comment

If you are US citizen, it may help to get her in US as an immediate relative of USC. But it will not be as quick as you want.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation