X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused with Misspelled Last name Advise Please

Hi Friends,
    Thank you so much for reading and helping me out all this time guys. I have a question and I hope this is not a major problem since this has been bugging me for a week now. Just to give you guys a idea here is a summary. Indian national came to US on F1 (Student) in 98 got SSN and drivers license and all that legal stuff. Applied for a Credit card in 99. Now lets assume my last name is ABC well when I got my Credit card it said ADC I told them about this problem and they immediately fixed it. In 2001 I applied for a GC (based on marriage to USC) since then I have renewed my EAD twice and been for fingerprints with the FBI. When the INS sent me a receipt notice guess what they misspelled my last name this time it was ABD. Of course I told them about this and they too fixed this. Now just last week I ordered my Credit Report and on there it still shows the mistake ADC. It says Person formerly know, as ADC is ABC.I have filled out forms for INS numerous times and it has always been my name ABC. Now my question is do I have to tell INS about the mistakes made by Credit Reporting agency cause as you can see they are all TYPO Errors. I mean bottom line is I have never changed my last name EVER I have always been ABC and will die ABC. Do you guys think this is a problem? Cause I can easily prove I have never been anything else other then ABC. Ofcourse I have enough proof like my passport, Birth certificate, SSN card, US Visa, Drivers license, Id's, my parents to prove, educational records and million other documents which prove I am ABC. Any input for you fine people is really appreciated. Thank you so much. Happy no one made mistakes with my First name just last name even though it is just like 3 letters.

Raju

Hi Friends,
    Thank you so much for reading and helping me out all this time guys. I have a question and I hope this is not a major problem since this has been bugging me for a week now. Just to give you guys a idea here is a summary. Indian national came to US on F1 (Student) in 98 got SSN and drivers license and all that legal stuff. Applied for a Credit card in 99. Now lets assume my last name is ABC well when I got my Credit card it said ADC I told them about this problem and they immediately fixed it. In 2001 I applied for a GC (based on marriage to USC) since then I have renewed my EAD twice and been for fingerprints with the FBI. When the INS sent me a receipt notice guess what they misspelled my last name this time it was ABD. Of course I told them about this and they too fixed this. Now just last week I ordered my Credit Report and on there it still shows the mistake ADC. It says Person formerly know, as ADC is ABC.I have filled out forms for INS numerous times and it has always been my name ABC. Now my question is do I have to tell INS about the mistakes made by Credit Reporting agency cause as you can see they are all TYPO Errors. I mean bottom line is I have never changed my last name EVER I have always been ABC and will die ABC. Do you guys think this is a problem? Cause I can easily prove I have never been anything else other then ABC. Ofcourse I have enough proof like my passport, Birth certificate, SSN card, US Visa, Drivers license, Id's, my parents to prove, educational records and million other documents which prove I am ABC. Any input for you fine people is really appreciated. Thank you so much. Happy no one made mistakes with my First name just last name even though it is just like 3 letters.

Raju

Comment

You can request each credit bureau to fix the information. Provide them with a copy of the biographic page of your passport showing the correct spelling of your name. This is not going to be a problem for your immigration matters. However, it may eventually be a problem for your credit report. I would get a credit report from all three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax and the other) and then contact the credit bureau(s) where the misspelling appears and ask them to fix the information. They will do that, but you may need to be persistent.

Comment

Hi NYCImmParalegal,
        First of all thank you so much for your quick and accurate information. You just took a load of stress of me by saying that this wont be a problem for my immigration papers (GC). Thank you so much. The first card I applied was capital one or AT and T (not sure) and since then I have closed those accounts like 2 years ago so I really don't know how that will go. The other thing I was wondering was why did you say "this may eventually be a problem for your credit report" I mean by the grace of god things have been fine ever since 99 after all like I said bottom line is I NEVER HAVE OR EVER WILL change my last name. Just was wondering that is all. INS and all the credit companies have my name correct now. But as you said I will try to get this mess fixed. I told this problem to one of my other friends and he said credit Agency would not take off the incorrect spelling of the credit report since the first ever card was issued under the wrong name and as far as now is concerned they realized that mistake and since have corrected it. The reason I was worried was cause on all INS forms they say, "LIST ALL THE NAMES YOU HAVE USED" and I was not sure did I have to disclose this mess OTHER people have done to them. I just wanted some other expert's views on this matter that is all. Thank you so much.

Raju

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed