• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 245i next year?

245i next year?

245i next year?

Comment

I just read a press release that Mr. Daschle would like to have this 245i extended to April 30, 2003 without the August 2001 restriction (i.e., only those people who have created 'familial relationships' before August 2001 can benefit from the extension).

Comment

On September 6, 2001 it was reported that the Senate and House had agreed on a compromise measure to extend section 245(i). It appears that, under the compromise, many immigrant petitions filed before either April 30, 2002 or 4 months after regulations would have been issued (it was not clear whether it would be the earlier or the later of these two dates) would form the basis for 245(i) eligibility. President Bush was expected to sign the bill once all the details were worked out.

After September 11, 2001 events the bill was forgotten.

Comment

For what Section 245(i) involved you can look here:

http://www.callyourlawyers.com/mobile/245(i)revival-3.html

Comment

There are more recent news than your 2001 ones:

As a poster above noticed [but not you ] at a reception honoring Cinco de Mayo on May 5th, 2002 -- the Mexican Independence Day -- President Bush emphasized the importance of the relationship between the U.S. and Mexico. In connection with remarks regarding his work with Mexico's President Fox to address immigration issues, President Bush stated that he has asked Congress to pass an extension of Section 245(i) "to allow families to stay together while they become permanent residents." He concluded, "There is no reason why this cannot be passed."

A new, more expansive 245(i) extension was introduced in the Senate on May 9, 2002. The bill, sponsored by Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD), is known as the

===> "Uniting Families Act of 2002." <===

This legislation would extend the filing deadline for 245(i) eligibility to April 30, 2003, rather than the current date under the LIFE Act of April 30, 2001. The new bill would maintain the LIFE Act requirement that the applicant must have been physically present in the U.S. on December 21, 2000. The filing deadline means that a labor certification application or an employment-/ family-based petition must be filed by that date to preserve 245(i) eligibility for the beneficiary and any derivative family members.

Section 245 (i) does not provide an amnesty or a new way to obtain permanent residence. These individuals must be eligible for permanent residence in all respects, usually based on family/employment relationships. All 245(i) does is enable a person to complete the process from within the U.S. rather than having to travel to a consulate overseas. This provision is important because certain persons who have remained in the U.S. without legal status would be subject to a 3-year/10-year bar on returning to this country if they travel abroad. Section 245(i) also does not expedite the green card process in any way.

Opponents to this bill used fear in an attempt to mischaracterize 245(i) and the nature of the benefit it provides. Many proponents of 245(i) were supporting a more narrow extension. For those who may ultimately benefit by a 245(i) extension, it may be wise to start preparing now. This means getting documentation in order and approaching those family members or employers who could act as petitioners. It would also be prudent to earmark funds to pay for the process. If the extension is short, there may not be much time to get documents and funds together. If one is in a committed relationship, perhaps marriage is to be considered now. If it is necessary to obtain a divorce from an estranged spouse prior to marrying again, this process should not be delayed. Many people missed the last 245(i) deadline for these and other reasons. A further extension or, better yet, a reinstatement would provide a second chance that should not be missed.

Good Luck To You!

Comment

Any attempt by congress to pass 245i or guest workers or amnesty or any other program that rewards people for breaking the law will be strongly opposed by law-abiding citizens nationwide.

Comment

Ok.

Comment

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN TO EXPECT ACTION TO BE TAKEN ON THIS??

THERE ARE MANY WHO ARE READY AND WAITING WITH FAMILIES AT STAKE.

Comment

245i(should it ever be considered by congress) will be opposed by law-abiding citizens nationwide who oppose rewarding people for breaking the law.

Comment

To the last poster: get off the board!

Comment

For the U.S. congress to pass a law (245i) that rewards people who have broken a law that U.S. congress passed is illogical.

Comment

It doesn't matter if it is illogical, they just have to do it.

Comment

I am a Permanent Resident and i filed an I-130 for my wife two years. We got married here but we decided it was better to return to the U.K instead of staying illegally. Since we filed in 2001, i'm not sure if she will qualify for V visa next year. Right now it seem going back was a mistake since those who overstay stand a better chance of adjusting their status with the new i245 law in the works.

Comment

She'll get an V visa next year (regardless of whether she's here in the U.S. or in U.K.)

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation