X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braydenalexaa
    replied
    They're unlike anything else if you've never had Colombian empanadas! They're made of crunchy cornmeal dough, filled with a creamy, aromatic beef and potato filling, spiced with Latin seasonings.

I've never met an empanada I didn't like. For me, Colombian empanadas are the pinnacle of Colombian food. I've been eating this since I was a kid, and before I even knew they were Colombian! They're unlike anything else if you've never had Colombian empanadas. A crunchy cornmeal dough, filled with a creamy, aromatic beef and potato filling, spiced with cumin and Sazon. In my never-ending attempt to recycle leftovers, I made these with pieces from my Ropa Vieja recipe.

Leave a comment:

• johnpketchum12
    replied
    Originally posted by alexanderdebrahan View Post
    These Colombian Empanadas are a popular snack in Colombia and are served by most Colombian restaurants in the USA. Traditionally, these delicious fritters are made with shredded pork and beef, but in my family we always make them with ground meat. Serve them with ají and lime wedges on the side.To prepare the dough: Place the masarepa in a large bowl. Add the sazon Goya and salt and stir to mix well. Add the water and oil and mix to form dough. Pat the dough into a ball and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth. Cover with plastic and set aside for 20 minutes.Meanwhile, to make the filling, cook the potatoes in a pot with water and the bouillon tablet for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and gently mash the potatoes. Set aside.Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green onions, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes.Add the ground pork and beef. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture is fairly dry.Transfer the meat mixture to the mashed potatoes bowl and mix well to combine.
    For starters Colombian empanadas are fried, while other empanadas are generally baked. The doughs are the other big difference. Colombian and Venezulean empanadas are both made with P.A.N., which is a white or yellow corn flour. It’s different than cornmeal, which is definitely much coarser. Traditionally, Colombian Empanadas are delicious fritters made with shredded beef and serve them with Aji Colombiano. These classic Empanadas feature a crunchy cornmeal dough, filled with a creamy, aromatic beef and potato filling, spiced with cumin and Sazon.

Leave a comment:

• danielhowell
    replied
    These Colombian Empanadas are a popular snack in Colombia and are served by most Colombian restaurants in the USA. Traditionally, these delicious fritters are made with shredded pork and beef, but in my family we always make them with ground meat. Serve them with ají and lime wedges on the side.To prepare the dough: Place the masarepa in a large bowl. Add the sazon Goya and salt and stir to mix well. Add the water and oil and mix to form dough. Pat the dough into a ball and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth. Cover with plastic and set aside for 20 minutes.Meanwhile, to make the filling, cook the potatoes in a pot with water and the bouillon tablet for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and gently mash the potatoes. Set aside.Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green onions, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes.Add the ground pork and beef. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture is fairly dry.Transfer the meat mixture to the mashed potatoes bowl and mix well to combine.
    Colombian Empanadas are made from corn flour, stuffed with a picadillo and pan-fried until they’re crispy and delicious. These are served with a tomato ají that makes it even better!A few years ago I posted this recipe. For some people, it worked great. They loved the filling, the dough was perfect. You know, general hand claps all around. But then, a few other readers stated they had issues with the dough. It left me scratching my head and giving me anxiety. What went wrong? Were some people using corn flour and others using cornmeal? Was that the issue? Was the recipe the problem? I couldn’t figure it out. I took the recipe down, vowing to retest it to figure out the problemo. It kept getting pushed onto the next day’s to-do list until admittedly I forgot about it. UNTIL!! someone emailed me a few weeks ago saying WHERE IS THE RECIPE I LOVED IT!

Leave a comment:

• alexanderdebrahan
    replied
    Growing up I always watched my mom call my grandmother long distance, ask for my abuela’s recipes and write every ingredient down in an old notebook. She would then proceed to recreate her childhood recipes with me. My mom no longer needs to revert back to that old, tattered notebook because those recipes have become a part of who she is. Fill a large pot with vegetable oil and heat over medium high heat. Carefully place 3 Colombian empanadas at a time in the heated oil and fry for about 2 minutes until golden on all sides.

Leave a comment:

• johnpketchum12
    replied
    Colombian food is a very important part of my family’s Mother’s Day traditions and my mom’s Colombian empanadas are a staple at our table. One of the simplest and most delicious ways that we can express and appreciate cultural diversity is by sharing a meal. Food is everyone’s common ground; a delicious meal made with love puts a smile on everyone’s face. The comfort that comes from a home cooked meal made by your mamá or abuelita, is a feeling that almost every person can identify with.

Leave a comment:

• donaldrsimoner
    replied
    Wonderful recipe! We conduct a Miami food tour in which we feature all about Colombian cuisine among other types of cuisine that make up the area. Guess what is most people favorite food in the entire tour? The Colombian empanadas that we taste at a great little Colombian restaurant here. When people take the first bite and combine the empanada with the aji sauce ... they all go "wow" this is amazing... Great recipe that I will pass down!

Leave a comment:

• danielhowell
    replied
    Break small portions of the dough, about 1 ½ tablespoons each one, and form each portion into a ball by rolling between the palms of your hands.Place the balls of dough between two pieces of plastic and roll each out very thinly to form a circle. Remove the top plastic and place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of each.For the vegetarian version of this Colombian Empanadas recipe, follow all the instructions and just omitting the beef and pork.

Leave a comment:

• alexanderdebrahan
    started a topic Super easy Colombian empanadas recipe

Super easy Colombian empanadas recipe

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney