Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree Plantations - Planting for Retirement

I spent 2 years in Belize, Central America. While I was there I spent a fair bit of time in the jungles and around logging operations. The climate is very different from that of Southern Ontario. They have a dry season and a rain season but it's always warm. This is why I decided to plant trees in Belize.

Years ago when I was in college, I took a 2 year horticultural program. I was most fascinated by the arboriculture classes. I had thought about setting up a tree farm for years but when I got to the point of planting, some 'kill-joy' would steal my thunder by making a remark like, "ya, you'll be growing those trees for your kids". That would stop me in my tracks. The tree spacing calculator in Canada are a very long-term project and they were right. I'd never see the money. Don't get me wrong. I love my kids but there's a good chance that I'll need money in the future as well. That comment stopped me for years because I felt that it was more prudent to put money into a Registered Retirement Savings Plan than to invest in my children's retirement. Everything would be left to my children anyway so it did not make sense to take a risk and possibly become a burden on them in my older years. Then we moved to Belize for 2 years and everything changed.

As I mentioned earlier, I spent a lot of time in the jungle but also driving the country and visiting tree plantations. There are a couple of large teak plantations in the southern part of Belize. That is where the itch came back. I needed to start a tree farm. I partnered up with a fellow Canadian and started doing research. The 2 most popular woods used for lumber in Belize are mahogany and Spanish cedar. We bought a piece of clear-cut land, got some seed and started a nursery. Our research showed that these 2 trees would grow well on the land we had purchased and that both trees grew about an inch in diameter each year. That would give us trees with a trunk-diameter of 25 inches by the time I turned 60 years of age. That was very exciting. We figured that we should supplement our plantation with some teak although we were a bit far north in the country. Teak would grow about the same speed in ideal conditions but we did not have those conditions. We planted about 10 thousand teak. The wood is expensive and the real bonus with teak is that it regenerates. A teak tree can be cut down and almost immediately, a new shoot will emerge from the side of the stump growing into a new tree. This can happen up to seven generations. That would take care of my children as well.

VIPBox Alternatives that are available and viewers can use those sites for streaming their favorite sports events.
    How Many Ounces in a Gallon There are different units used for measuring the fluids like liter, milliliter, ounce, gallon, pint, quart, etc.
    Why Were Chainsaws Invented In 1780, two Scottish surgeons created the first chainsaw to assist in childbirth.
    Streaming Site MyFlixer Nowadays many new movies, series, and other shows are coming up for entertainment purposes.
    Where Does Vanilla Flavoring Come From Sloowmoee posted an interesting video on the TikTok platform regarding drinking a vanilla latte.

Frasi sul mare più belle The sea always makes you feel alive. It can be called a therapy that purifies you physically, emotionally and spiritually.
    Migliore Domande Hai Mai If you're looking for some fun or informative questions about your friends, co-workers, or to use at a party, this is the website for you!
    Frasi sulla vita Life is a beautiful journey that must be embraced to the fullest every day.
    Frasi Sull Amicizia Having a best friend is one of the best gifts in life. Whether you bond with your sense of humor, work life, familiar stuff.
    Frasi, aforismi e citazioni sulla libertà La libertà è una parte assolutamente essenziale della società e accresce il senso di comunità.

indirectas frase para que le duela Las frases hirientes te permitirán darte cuenta de la agonía de ser herido. Es posible que cada uno de nosotros haya experimentado el corazón roto.
    Biblico Frases de agradecimiento a dios A veces es fácil dar por sentado todo lo que tenemos.
    Frases de Agradecimiento Escribir una nota de agradecimiento o un mensaje de correo electrónico es un hermoso gesto para expresar tu aprecio,
    Frases Para enamorar a una chica Muchos de nosotros a menudo ignoramos una parte crucial de cualquier relación saludable: decirle a tu novia o esposa cuánto la amas.

Comment

We all shoud plant as many trees in our house as much we can! Las Vegas Concrete Contractors designed my house with so many beautiful plants and I absolutely loved it! Trees will only give you benefits for you whole life.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation