Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TO LILLY

Kent is correct when he says that the petition must have been filed prior to December 21, 2001, the date that the LIFE act was signed into law. (Public Law 106-553) No one filing an I-130 today (or within the last year) will be able to get a "V" visa. Understand?

Comment

What do you think is the point of the V-visa then?That date won't be 2001 next year.Regards.

Comment

Lilly, I wish it was true. I am an LPR. I married a foreigner in May 2001 and submitted an I 130 straight afterwards. At the time it looked like an immigration reform bill would be passed in Congress and as part of that, the V visa would be extended.

Instead after 9/11, immigration reform died. I expect something will happen in about a years time. Probably a Mexican guest worker arrangement. Congress is aware of the number of nuclear families separated by the present laws, and I hope will also add in something to ease the pain.

Otherwise, the present V visa, is only temporary and after a few more years it will disapear altogether.

I will apply for U.S. citizenship as soon as I can. That is the fastest way for my wife and I to get together permanently.

Comment

I'm soory, Kent, but I realy don't know what you are talking about. The New V-visa was implemented on 9/07/01. What does that have to do with 9/11? That visa is to help separated families be reunited after a long and painful separation of 3 years instead of 5. That is the point of it. If it's not 3 years for you yet that means that means you have to wait some more. Be patient, after all that is the sence of that new regulation, to bring families together faster than before. As for me - I won't be able to benefit from it, but I hope that you and many other families will!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation