Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What if my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers?

    I've been in the USA for three months on a tourist visa. I'm going to change my intent because I want to marry my boyfriend. I'm worried that my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers.

    We have been separated for 7 years. I have suffered physical and emotional abuse as well as being cheated on. Is there a way to get him to sign? I think he's doing this out of spite. Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Vodka View Post
    I've been in the USA for three months on a tourist visa. I'm going to change my intent because I want to marry my boyfriend. I'm worried that my estranged husband in the Philippines won't sign divorce papers.

    We have been separated for 7 years. I have suffered physical and emotional abuse as well as being cheated on. Is there a way to get him to sign? I think he's doing this out of spite. Thank you in advance.
    In the US, one party of the marriage can unilaterally divorce without agreement from the other side.

    This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by newacct View Post
      In the US, one party of the marriage can unilaterally divorce without agreement from the other side.
      Even if the marriage was in the Philippines and the country does not recognize divorce?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Vodka View Post
        Even if the marriage was in the Philippines and the country does not recognize divorce?
        Yes. As long as she lives here, she can file divorce here.

        This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by newacct View Post
          Yes. As long as she lives here, she can file divorce here.
          Thank you.. you have been very helpful.

          Comment


          • #6
            So if someone decides to divorce here, wouldn't the court system try to reach out to her estranged husband overseas? If they do reach out to him, what if he disagrees?
            --Good luck--
            Good luck with your case. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is very interesting. Nothing shall be considered as legal advice. All communication is non-expert opinion. http://discuss.ilw.com/core/images/smilies/smile.png{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Smile","src":"http:\/\/discuss.ilw.com\/images\/smilies\/smile.png"}http://discuss.ilw.com/core/images/smilies/smile.png

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pkumar View Post
              So if someone decides to divorce here, wouldn't the court system try to reach out to her estranged husband overseas? If they do reach out to him, what if he disagrees?
              Yes, you need to try to reach him. It's better if you can find him.

              It doesn't matter if he disagrees; he can't stop it. The court will settle any issues with finances and custody, etc.

              This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sodium Hypochlorite Price

                Comment

                Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                Home Page

                Immigration Daily

                Archives

                Processing times

                Immigration forms

                Discussion board

                Resources

                Blogs

                Twitter feed

                Immigrant Nation

                Attorney2Attorney

                CLE Workshops

                Immigration books

                Advertise on ILW

                EB-5

                移民日报

                About ILW.COM

                Connect to us

                Questions/Comments

                SUBSCRIBE

                Immigration Daily



                Working...
                X