X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driving licence

Hej guys!
    I hope you will help me. You know how difficult it is here to get a driving licence. I have to walk all the time and a bus drives just once an hour. Could you tell me if for example if I had a car registered for my boss and his company I can use my international driving licence translated by brooklyn agency. it would be in English, but Motor vehicle says something abouth driving permit? What is it? it a lincence itself?

Hej guys!
    I hope you will help me. You know how difficult it is here to get a driving licence. I have to walk all the time and a bus drives just once an hour. Could you tell me if for example if I had a car registered for my boss and his company I can use my international driving licence translated by brooklyn agency. it would be in English, but Motor vehicle says something abouth driving permit? What is it? it a lincence itself?

Comment

Let me add that this is in NJ

Comment

Does anyone kow the anser for my question?

Comment

As I know here in California with your 1-94 and later go to the SS for a letter that they can give a SSnumber return to the DMV you can get a driver licence..... but every state had different regulations..

Comment

I live in Brooklyn myself, and I know for sure that you can not drive in New York with international drivers license.

Comment

What about the NJ state and cosequences I can have driving on IDL

Comment

In the state of Texas all you have to do is sign a waiver saying that you dont have a SS # adn thats it. you do have to take the exam (driven, visual, an written) but that is it.. If I were you I would call your local office there and ask them.

Comment

I used to live in NJ, oh boy they are very strict. My only doumentation from INS was my approved I-130 but they won't accept that unless you have EAD. I wasn't able to get my DL in the state of NJ. Sorry...

Comment

So what if for example I am a visitor and i want to use my international dl, what can they do to me?

Comment

You can use the international Drivers License for 3 months in any state, then you have to apply for a state license. Many people use the Intl DL for much longer than that...they only get a permit which does not require a SS#.

Comment

NJ's DMV will not issue a driver's license (or just about anything else) without a valid SSN even if you have all the correct INS papers... This is from personal experience...

Comment

Thanks guys a lot but how can I get the permit and what is it? do I have to take a test or something like that? I applied for a change of status so to the best of my knowledge I am still in status, can I get this permit then/

Comment

Greg, you can apply for a permit even if you do not have status at all (that is to say are in the U.S. illegaly) To get a permit you must only pass the written test, no road test is required. The permit (at least in the state where I live) will not have any SS# attached, it just shows that you have passed the written test and are in the process of applying for the drivers license (which does require most of the time an SS# to be issued.)

Comment

It might just apply to the state where you live right now. But we are talking about NJ.I had a first hand experience with NJ DMV. They won't give you a DL unless you have a GC or EAD with valid SSN. I only had an approved I-130 and it's not the doc. that they need so I never issued any DL at all.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation