No announcement yet.

N-400 change to married name, GC and passport in maiden name

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • N-400 change to married name, GC and passport in maiden name

    Hello Folks,

    I am getting ready to file my N-400 and needed some guidance on how to handle name change for my wife.

    Here is some bacground...

    My wife has her GC, Passport, DL, SSN and all other documents in her maiden name.

    When applying for her citizenship, she would like to change to using her married name.

    Few question when filling in N-400 from people who are in the similar situation as to what are the correct answers.

    1) In my (Husband's) N-400 what should I mention under my wife's Current legal name. Will it be her married name or the maiden name per her GC and other docs. Note that we want to use married name for her citizenship application.
    (I would think it would be her married name since she can choose to use that name legally by law)

    2) What will be my wife's legal married name here in US? Will it be <GIVEN NAME> <MARRIED LASTNAME> or I can use <GIVEN NAME> <HUSBANDS NAME> <MARRIED LASTNAME> as is the custom in my family.

    3) In my wife's N-400 app. under her current legal name can she mention her married name and mention her maiden name as it appers on GC under "Your name exactly as it appears on permanent resident card"? Will this be enough for the naturalization cert to be issued in her married name or I will have to use the "Name change" section.

    Thanks in advance for all your responses.

  • #2
    Great news on your decision to naturalize. I did last year.
    1) If your wife had her name legally changed at the time of marriage, you should have a marriage certificate that says so. If yes, use her new married name for the current legal name. If you don't have proof of a legal name change, then you will have to use her maiden name. Basiscally you'll need an official record to prove the name change. If you did change it, that is her new legal name.
    2) Same thing. For legal name, you need to use the name on an official change. otherwise, continue to us the maiden name.
    3) For "name as it appears on perm resident card" she should list only name exactly as written on the green card

    USCIS will use her current legal name for naturalization. If she did not change her name legally with marriage, you can request a name change (to her new married name) as part of the naturalization ceremony (part 2 question 4).

    Can I recommend a website for preparing your N-400? CitizenPath made a lot of these questions really easy. Plus they're helpful if you get stuck.


    Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

    Home Page

    Immigration Daily


    Processing times

    Immigration forms

    Discussion board



    Twitter feed

    Immigrant Nation


    CLE Workshops

    Immigration books

    Advertise on ILW



    About ILW.COM

    Connect to us



    Immigration Daily