Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing job after filing N400

I am hoping one of you Gurus will have answers to all my question s below!!

Background: I got my permanent resident card on 9/13/2004. We should become eligible to apply for naturalization on 6/14/2009 and intend to file our applications(N400). We do meet the requirements of continuous residence and physical presence.

Question: My project and career opportunity requires me to move to India for few years. Ideally I would like to do this soon after filing my application for naturalization(N400) but before getting the US citizenship. My question is
    1. Can I move out of USA for an extended period of time after filing for N400? What kind of risk is involved?
    a). I can make trips to USA for *my fingerprinting, interview and oath.
    b). A caretaker in USA will keep us informed on the mails from USCIS.

2. Is there any advantage of going on a short term expat assignment(on US payroll) Vs changing job ( on Oversea payroll) from immigration/naturalization perspective? In both cases my employer is same.

3. From immigration perspective, will it make any difference if we both(me and my wife) move out of USA Vs I only move out for job reason while my wife stays in US?

4. If we shouldn’t move until we are awarded the citizenship, then the question is – for how long we shouldn’t move out of USA after getting the citizenship? How much time does OCI approval takes?

5. *We live in Oregon and hence we will be filing the application with Nebraska center. What is the average time I can expect to get fingerprint notice, Interview call, Oath Ceremony and Citizenship awarded from the time I file my application (N400) i.e. 6/14/2009.

I will really appreciate if someone can help solving my dilemmas!!

Thanks.

I am hoping one of you Gurus will have answers to all my question s below!!

Background: I got my permanent resident card on 9/13/2004. We should become eligible to apply for naturalization on 6/14/2009 and intend to file our applications(N400). We do meet the requirements of continuous residence and physical presence.

Question: My project and career opportunity requires me to move to India for few years. Ideally I would like to do this soon after filing my application for naturalization(N400) but before getting the US citizenship. My question is
    1. Can I move out of USA for an extended period of time after filing for N400? What kind of risk is involved?
    a). I can make trips to USA for *my fingerprinting, interview and oath.
    b). A caretaker in USA will keep us informed on the mails from USCIS.

2. Is there any advantage of going on a short term expat assignment(on US payroll) Vs changing job ( on Oversea payroll) from immigration/naturalization perspective? In both cases my employer is same.

3. From immigration perspective, will it make any difference if we both(me and my wife) move out of USA Vs I only move out for job reason while my wife stays in US?

4. If we shouldn’t move until we are awarded the citizenship, then the question is – for how long we shouldn’t move out of USA after getting the citizenship? How much time does OCI approval takes?

5. *We live in Oregon and hence we will be filing the application with Nebraska center. What is the average time I can expect to get fingerprint notice, Interview call, Oath Ceremony and Citizenship awarded from the time I file my application (N400) i.e. 6/14/2009.

I will really appreciate if someone can help solving my dilemmas!!

Thanks.

Comment

No, leaving the U.S. to take up residence abroad, even temporary, is prohibit.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation