Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
      ... As long as people continue to think things are free, yes, you dems will continue to win elections. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But of course, yes, "free" as in "freedom" which is one of the most fundamental principles that this country has been built on - that you repubs threaten to chip away from its very foundation - thanks to bully politics that you're very much known for. But, never again. Trust me.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
        Now who is spinning and twisting, LOL. But you know, even freedom isn't free. It carries the highest price of all, personal responsibility.

Spinning to highlight the truth against twisting to advance the lie - very big difference.

In days of old that meant more than free medical or a way to blame someone for one's own mistakes. In these most current days it's been twisted into an ugly aberration of entitlement and justified wealth transfer.

Better tell it to Ms. Olympia Snowe or even Ms. Susan Collins, both full-blooded repubs, who're tired of the empty rhetorics and partisan bickering, and who think that the time to act is now. Arlen Specter earlier. The discontent is contagious. Call it aberration if you will but the do-nothing GOP diktat is over.

The only oppressive legislation penned by the party was the patriot act. Intrusive and overbearing yes, but in a time of crisis a necessary burden to insure our safety. Amazing isn't it, the thing actually worked! Obama hasn't repealed it yet either, hmm.

No president repeals laws passed by congress. Another pointer new to you. But all this will be looked at, just too much to do, damages overwhelming, too little time, with one eye on rating.

Also please don't miss NSA's surveillance programs, in blatant defiance of the law and disrespect to congressional prerogatives to at least be in the know.

And how about CIA's secret prisons of "enemy combatants" clandestinely tucked away outside of federal court's jurisdictions? The Bush-Cheney brand of unbridled support for the use of torture tactics, unknown in American history, that made Lincoln's temporary suspension of the writ of habeas corpus pale in comparison?

Anyway, after all history will be the judge.

Turning the coin we've been ridiculed for allowing too much freedom in the form of deregulation. That's the problem with freedom. Everyone wants it but are often too stupid to use it correctly. Worse, as is the mantra of the Dem party, they're encouraged to blame someone else for shooting themselves in the foot.

It's classic Bush-Cheney GOP, that's why. Pamper and cuddle 5% of the populace, less government, less taxes, tight budget and call it leadership. Where has that put the country at? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

That's the bit I don't get davdah. You think the more you earn the less taxes you should pay (read "entitlement"), leaving the rest of us paying the taxes for the already very wealthy. How fair is that??! Don't forget many of those already wealthy pass on their wealth to their kids who no nothing of the real world and don't need to. What did they do to deserve paying little or no taxes?? It's not fair at all no matter how you spin it. It's the equivalent of the old Feudal system in UK from centuries ago. No wonder the Inheritance Tax is so hated by the Repubs.
          "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

Inheritance tax should be eliminated. If I work my entire life and decide to pass it on to my kids, that's my business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True...

Comment

This is a good talking point. Why should inheritance be taxed in the first place? How many other taxes have already been imposed on this money? Think about it. It's not right to double or triple tax the same money. Must have been something the Democrats came up with. Tax, tax, tax, spend, spend, spend.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
                This is a good talking point. Why should inheritance be taxed in the first place? How many other taxes have already been imposed on this money? Think about it. It's not right to double or triple tax the same money. Must have been something the Democrats came up with. Tax, tax, tax, spend, spend, spend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                The inheritance tax is one of the oldest taxes on the books. It is simply a transfer payment tax. It should be reformed, not repealed.

the first estate tax came in 1797 to help finance navy reconstruction while the next came in 1862 to fund the civil war. This tax has been on the books since the 1862 era. When most people refer to the estate tax, they usually refer to the TRA, Tax Reform Actss of 1977, 1982 and 1986 when the unified credit was established and modified.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The inheritance tax is one of the oldest taxes on the books. It is simply a transfer payment tax. It should be reformed, not repealed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's money that's already been taxed. Why is that okay? The money I made in my lifetime has been taxed by the federal government, the state government and God knows who else. Why should my kids have to pay an additional tax when it goes to them?

Comment

The tax can be avoided if you are a citizen & resident of a country where it is already taxed or is not taxable before transfer to your heirs.
                    Under international treaty US can't re-tax what has already been taxed elsewhere.

In US , if you are US resident/citizen and your heir is citizen/resident, then it is subject to heir taxation.

I don't know what the reasoning behind it is, I could only assume that state is claiming it's interest in heir tax based on fact that it allowed the beneficiary's ancestors to accumulate the possessions in the first place.
                    Also, it doesn't seem much different from double taxation of corporation.

In any event, with tax policy there are two extremes possible:

1) Zero taxes on everything
                    2) 100% tax on everything.

Neither alternative seems workable.

First would lead to instant collapse of state by default.
                    Second would cause mass riots and revolution overthrowing gov.

In practice the rate is necessiated and influenced by many past and current factors and varies accordingly.
                    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Comment

Or, a better idea might be for me to spend it all before I go so there will be nothing left to tax - lol.

Comment

No, that would be counterproductive idea.

What if you spend it all and then don't die? How are you going to pay your own bills then?
                        http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Comment

Where is my Nobel Peace Prize !!!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs