Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing ex-husband's son to America!

I have a question for anyone that may be able to answer it! My husband (recently a U.S. Citizen) and I have just divorced (but very amicably). We remain friends and have a daughter together. He is African. Him and I would still like to bring his son over, but we are concerned that his income will not be enough on paper to show adequate support. Is there still a way that for me to help with bringing over his son (as far as the legalities go)?

I have a question for anyone that may be able to answer it! My husband (recently a U.S. Citizen) and I have just divorced (but very amicably). We remain friends and have a daughter together. He is African. Him and I would still like to bring his son over, but we are concerned that his income will not be enough on paper to show adequate support. Is there still a way that for me to help with bringing over his son (as far as the legalities go)?

Comment

if he's a u.s citizen he can file for her,,but i dont think u will be able to file anything,,bcoz u guys are divorced,,u have nothing to do with it

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike_2007:
        if he's a u.s citizen he can file for her,,but i dont think u will be able to file anything,,bcoz u guys are divorced,,u have nothing to do with it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to disagree, mike. The USC father can sponsor his son (Form I-130) and he can submit a duly completed Form I-864. If his income is insufficient to meet the required threshold, his former wife can serve as a co-sponsor through a separate Form I-864.

Please consider this: "If the person who is seeking the immigration of one or more of his or her relatives cannot meet the income requirements, a "joint sponsor" who can meet the requirements may submit a Form I-864 to sponsor all or some of the family members.

A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant."
        (Form I-864 Instructions).

Comment

well this is exactly what i said to her,,i said he(the father)can file for her/him,,,but not her(the ex wife)

Comment

Yes, you can be a joint sponsor. Just be aware that his son will have to wait for 6-7 years since application to immigrate.

Comment

Sorry to disagree, Aibolit. What if the alien son is a minor, whose immigrant visa is readily available? There's nothing in the post that suggested either way.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your responses....keep em coming! *smile* His son is a minor (9 years old). The wait can't possible be that many years can it??

Comment

If you will act fast and barring any procedural hitches (mostly affidavit of support documentation), his son can be here between nine months to 1 1/2 years.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation