Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the alien number the same as social security number???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the alien number the same as social security number???

Hello, I just got my Employment Authorization Card Yesterday, now i was just wondering, the alien number on the card is the same number that later on is going to be my Social Security number??? And also early on I got my ITIN Number, that means that this tax year im going to use the same ITIN or my new alien number???
    Thank you Very Much!!!!!

Hello, I just got my Employment Authorization Card Yesterday, now i was just wondering, the alien number on the card is the same number that later on is going to be my Social Security number??? And also early on I got my ITIN Number, that means that this tax year im going to use the same ITIN or my new alien number???
    Thank you Very Much!!!!!

Comment

Nope, totally different. Use ITIN to file taxes.

Comment

Thank you very Much Marmanduke!

Comment

What are you smoking; crack? of course they are different

Comment

I suggest "Michael Award" for best posters and posts on this board!

He is the only man on planet Earth who has Intelligence superior to mine!

Comment

Now that you have your employment authorization, you must go to the Social security office and apply and get your Social Security number. You cannot work without the SS#. Yout Tax Identification number cannot be used to work.

Comment

You should also file taxes with you SS#.

Comment

Superyo,
                  Since you have a work authorization, ie I-766, you automatically are approved for a SSN. Go to the SS office nearest you (call 1-800-772-1213 oe visit their web site at www.ssa.gov). The ITIN is only available for those who are not eligible for a SS. Therefore, you would need to get the SS card so that your employer will have a valid TIN for employment purposes. The ITIN is used for tax purposes only and NOT VALID FOR WORK!
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

I thought you needed a job offer in addition to the employment authorization. Thats what I was told by SS in New Jersey

Comment

Never trust what a government worker tells you. You do not even need a job to have a social security number.

Comment

You do not need a job to apply for or to get work authorization. The same with a SS#. If you have a GC you automatically qualify for a SS# - you do not need a job or work authorization.

Comment

You need a job offer letter and proof of employment authorization if you are in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa

Comment

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html#immigration

In that essence, H4 holder can't get social security number as well. Another reason to switch to F1, if situations permit.

Comment

There is one big advantage to remaining an H-4 if you also want to go to school:

Many schools allow those on H visas to pay instate tutition.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation