Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• initial interview for married couples

Hi there, I am a US Citizen who is married to a woman from the UK, she recieved her green card and social security card a few weeks ago, also has been approved for I-130(Advanced Parole), we have our initial interview this Thursday(6/22), is there anything we NEED to bring and also anything that we would be wise to know about? We didn't get married for her to be here we actually wanted to be together.

Hi there, I am a US Citizen who is married to a woman from the UK, she recieved her green card and social security card a few weeks ago, also has been approved for I-130(Advanced Parole), we have our initial interview this Thursday(6/22), is there anything we NEED to bring and also anything that we would be wise to know about? We didn't get married for her to be here we actually wanted to be together.

Comment

Hi devildog,

for what would that interview be? Normaly, interview is before green card is issued.

With what visa, if any, did your wife entered the US last? Did you get married before or after that?

Comment

Hi Aneri,

I believe it is for her adjustment of status.
        she came over here on a visa waiver, we got married before it expired.

Comment

but you are saying she received her green card a few weeks ago?! Green card (permanent residence) is approved at the adjustment of status interview?! So I am confused...

Maybe she received EAD (employment authorisation document) ?

How long after your wife entered the US, you two got married? Did you plan that before she arrived?

Comment

Hi Aneri,

I just called my wife and the thing she has is called an employment authorization card.

she came over in February of last year, we got married in May.

She also just read me the letter we got for the interview and it's for the I-485(Adjustment of Status)

Comment

OK, we cleared that...

You two need to bring the originals and copies of everything you sent with initial paperwork, + whatever it says on the letter you received, + some more recent proofs of relationship. If you have a genuine marriage, the interview shouldn't be a problem.

What would be wise to know? A person who enteres the US on tourist visa or VWP with the intent to stay (immigrate) can be found guilty of visa fraud and denied AOS. I am not saying that was the case here or you don't know that, but just in case...

Good luck. You both will do fine and your wife will get GC.

Comment

Hi Aneri,

Thank you for the information, we certainly didn't get married to avoid her having to go home. I actually proposed to her and we got married a few months later. I hope they don't think this is fraud. As soon as we were married we went to INS to see what we needed to do and everything has gone smoothly so far so I hope it continues that way.

Do they usually approve the green cards on the spot if they feel everything is legit and you have all of the docs in order?

Comment

.. and USCIS also needs to receive the fingerprint results from FBI by the time of the interview, only then an officer can say "you are approved and GC will arrive in X weeks". Some offices also put the stamp in alien's passport.

Comment

well then I hope they have the fingerprints back, neither of us has ever been in any trouble with the law so I don't see it being an issue. Reading some other posts on here, some people are saying they have been waiting 6 years for their green card, could this be true? and if so, why so long?

Comment

when and why it takes years to get GC? different people, different circumstences, make many different stories...some categories get only a certain number of immigrant visas issued per year; so more people apply, longer they wait.
                      Spouses of permanent residents are curently waiting about 6 years before their turn comes to receive GC.

Comment

Hi Devildog,

What state you in? I just had my interview for I-485. The guy who interviewed us didn't ask a lot of questions. In fact he asked me for all the copies we had (marriage license, daughter's birth certifica, anything with both our names) and then he just asked what date we were married and what our birthdates were. That was it. I have been married for 7 years and we have an 8 year old daughter together. But during my interview I was told that my background check is not yet back and that once it clears I will get my approval in the mail. I had a post to see how long it would take, the letter they gave me was to inquire through infopass if I have not heard anything by 90 days. Hope everything goes well for you and your wife. Please let me know what happens after your interview.
                        Aprilmore28

Comment

HI
                          WIZARD
                          WHICH STATE U LIVE
                          IAM ALSO HAVE AOS INTERVIEW NEXT MONTH BUT IT SAYS INITIAL INTERVIEW FOR I485AN DI LIVE IN NJ AND OUR INTERVIEW IS NEWARK

Comment

ANERI CAN U AADVISE ME TO GET PREPARE FOR AOS INTERVIEW

Comment

User1,

the best advice is: relax!

If you married out of love and you don't have some dark secrets, you'll do just fine. I am sure you have necessary papers, and that's it.

In a month or so you'll laugh at how much you were stressing out over nothing.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation