Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa-please advise

I currently have a J1 visa and I would like to get an F1 - is there a way to get the F1 from the US (can I apply for a change of status?) or do I have to go back to my country to get it?

Also, once I get accepted by the school, can I apply for a student loan? Do I need an American co-signer?

Your answers are really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I currently have a J1 visa and I would like to get an F1 - is there a way to get the F1 from the US (can I apply for a change of status?) or do I have to go back to my country to get it?

Also, once I get accepted by the school, can I apply for a student loan? Do I need an American co-signer?

Your answers are really appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Comment

from my understanding, the J1 visa requires that you go home to your country and stay there for a minimum of two years before you can apply for another non-immigrant visa. this is one of the "stricter" visa category.
      try to join the international students forum at http://www.iefa.org and click on the message board.
      and yes, you do need a USC with good credit standing to obtain a student loan for international students.

Comment

re student loan, you may want to check out Access Group, they do provide loans to internationals. However, as far as I recall, you need a minimum of 3 yrs of US credit history.

Comment

bea, your understanding is a bit off.

Two year home residency requirement applies to J-1 visas only if:
          1) there is U.S. or home country govt financing
          for J-1 holder
          2) J-1 holder's major or area of training is on the DOS list of skills for his/her country
          3) J-1 holder is receiving a graduate medical degree

Two year home residency requirement precludes J-1 holder from changing status while in the U.S. to any other immigrant or non-immigrant status, except for A and G status, and it precludes them from getting H, L visas and permanent residency until they spend two years at home. J-1 holder can leave the U.S. after the J-1 program's completion and enter on other non-immigrant visas, such as F-1, without fulfilling HRR.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation