New bill text

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Parker:

Guess they got a lost by the fact that a few points are given for having a relative in Canada if you want an employment-based immigrant visa. That is how half-baked this bill really is, and why it never should have made it onto the Senate floor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good points. What I don't get is how the Congress is so incapable of drafting laws! I mean they're mixing all kinds of concepts together in the immigration law, then doing half-assed measures for fixing it, and invariably ending up with a law that is at least as full of holes as the previous one...

It's like the US is incapable of ever having a solid immigration law.

I think their problem is that they just add on top of the old law and it gets more and more complicated. They don't fix some of the fundamentally poor concepts that were devised previously. The immigration laws of other countries work because they are fairly simple and don't create black holes for immigrants to fall into. The immigration officers and judges usually always have some kind of authority in making decisions, while in the US they are basically not trusted at all and must act according to strict statutory provisions. Which results into an unbelievably strict system with no consideration for variable conditions that people fall into.

And it seems like the Democrats caved in on the family based immigration to favor illegals! It was a trade-off with Republicans. What kind of victory is that? They make it harder for visa holders, legal residents and US Citizens in exchange for making it easier for illegals?

Comment

This bill is a give away to the illegals at the expense of legal immigrants who are caught in the retrogression backlogs at USCIS for the last 6 years. I guess numbers always matter....those trying to immigrate legally to the country, law abiding tax paying people(not marching in the streets) have been taken for a ride in this bill. The number of visas available for high skilled immigrants is 140,000 a year with a hard country cap of 7%. Also since there is no recapturing of unused visas from countries who did not fill up the quota has created high backlogs for people(legal) of certain countries. Under the current system the visas for the same are being reduced to 90,000 and all the rest are for illegal immigrants. So people who are already stuck in backlogs for the last 6 years will have to wait another 5 years as that is the time allotted to clear the backlogs. So those who have already applied legally and whose cases do not clear in the time being will have to restart the process.Also those who have already applied after May 2005 will have to pay up and re-apply again under the new system.
      For more information on the plight of the legal immigrant please visit www.immigrationvoice.org and you will see more detailed analysis on how the legal people have been screwed in this bill.
      No wonder there is no takers for legal immigration and the entire system is a mess since there is no incentive to do so.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scribbles:
        Good points. What I don't get is how the Congress is so incapable of drafting laws! I mean they're mixing all kinds of concepts together in the immigration law, then doing half-assed measures for fixing it, and invariably ending up with a law that is at least as full of holes as the previous one... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        Here's some more goof-ups they'll probably never notice until after they becomes law...

They are moving Parents of U.S. citizens from immediate relatives to family-preference and capping them at 40,000/year. The unexpected problem there is family-preference immigrants are allowed to bring derivatives (i.e. spouse/children) while immediate relatives cannot. So, in accusing parents of being chain immigrants and limiting their numbers, they've actually expanded the benefit so they can now bring a whole new family they may have formed with them instead of just themselves... @#$%!

Also, the family visitor visas only allow a 30-day admission per year, and this is after a bond has been posted and an affidavit guaranteeing their departure has been filed. But, there is no petitioning requirement! (so consular officer has to determine on the spot if they are indeed qualified parents)

Sen. Dodd (CT) and Sen. Menendez (NJ) announced on the floor on Wed. May 23 their intention to propose an amendment soon to increase the parent cap to 90,000 so that enough visas are allocated and making the parent visitor visa admission at least equivilant to the 6 months of a tourist visa. That really isn't enough. Parents are sometimes elderly and will die of old age before a visa number becomes available, and they need to be able to come whenever life events make it appropriate, for as long as needed, not when a visa number becomes available or in 6-month increments!

Comment

i have question if somone can help me,my wife is a usc i,ve applied for i 485 i had my interview two years ago,everything went well i was told i will be granted permanent residence once they r done with my background check its been two and half years,my question is once new law is passed, how it will effect my case.i,ll be greatfull if somone can answer me .

Comment

The proposed new law does not affect your case.

Comment

but i was entered without inspection.does,nt they say that they will clear the backlog of familly based petitions and people who have already filed their case,before processing undocumented ones.

Comment

Global B2B Platform

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs