Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please !!!!

A PR has to be a PR for 5 years b4 becoming eligible for citizenship. I am confused as to when the five year count begins. Can someone please tell me which is the start in this case?

My husband arrived in US in Aug 2000 on tourist visa...later found out that his I130 was current...so he filed an adjustment of status sometime around 2001....got his green card in the mail Aug 2002. The time from when he filed the I485 till when he got the green card was about a year. So my question is - did the 5 year count started when he filed the adjustment or do they (CIS) use the date on the card- which in his case was Aug 2002. We got the card August 15th and the date was August 13th ! I just need clarification please. Thanks and good luck to u all with your cases.

A PR has to be a PR for 5 years b4 becoming eligible for citizenship. I am confused as to when the five year count begins. Can someone please tell me which is the start in this case?

My husband arrived in US in Aug 2000 on tourist visa...later found out that his I130 was current...so he filed an adjustment of status sometime around 2001....got his green card in the mail Aug 2002. The time from when he filed the I485 till when he got the green card was about a year. So my question is - did the 5 year count started when he filed the adjustment or do they (CIS) use the date on the card- which in his case was Aug 2002. We got the card August 15th and the date was August 13th ! I just need clarification please. Thanks and good luck to u all with your cases.

Comment

Issue date on your GC.
      In most cases you can apply 4yr 9ms after it.

Comment

Thanks for the answer. One more thing. I did call CIS and they say he is eligible for the 4 year 9 month deal - but what I would like to know is - approx how long it takes to actually get become a citizen....how long is that waiting process and does he have to wait until he gets it to actually help me file my adjustment. I currently have an I130 which is approved but not current.

Comment

Average dates vary from DO to DO, depending on how fast USC applications are being processed there, how many people apply, how easy most cases are and etc., etc.

I suggest you to visit www.immigration.com forum and find numerous threads dedicated to the subjects you are inquiring about.

There are actually threads dedicated to various DO/States where you can see the timelines and make your own projection/estimate for yourself, or can simply post a question there.

Good Luck,

IE

Comment

Thank you - found the site - and it very helpful...so I appreciate your help.

Comment

Welcome !

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs