Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question?

my question is----Bill married Shama in India. after 3yrs he remarried Pretty.Bill and Pretty separated not divorced.Bill and Shama reached America.Shama got divorce here. Now can Bill sponsor Pretty as wife OR common-in-law from India? BILL

my question is----Bill married Shama in India. after 3yrs he remarried Pretty.Bill and Pretty separated not divorced.Bill and Shama reached America.Shama got divorce here. Now can Bill sponsor Pretty as wife OR common-in-law from India? BILL

Comment

Need some more information.
      1. Hope Bill is a USC.
      2. Date Petition file for Shama?
      3. Date of arrival of Shama as an immigrant
      to the US?

What do you mean by common-in-law?

Comment

How many times has Bill been married to Pretty? Was Bill divorced from Shama before he "remarried" Pretty? Is Bill separated from Pretty at this time?

It all sounds very confusing.

Comment

(1)Bill is USc (2)divorced in India last year. (3)she is also USC.Both came here 5yrs ago sponsored by their daughter (4)common-in-law partener.they have joint bank accounts in india.in absence of BIll Pretty uses these accounts.

Comment

(1)Bill married Shama in 1975.(2)Bill married PREtty in 1994.(3)Bill and Pretty separated in 2002.(4)Bill divorced shama in 2003 in India.(5)Bill married Pretty once which is not broken in the eyes on Indian law.Circumstances had compelled them to remain separate.this was their mutual decision. now situation has changed. they both wanted to live together.

Comment

Adam Sundevilusa i have answered ur questions,now i am in await of ur advice.

Comment

If Bill is married to Pretty, he can probably sponer her if he is divorced from Shama. Common Law is a British term (India has a British heritage - once part of the British Empire) whereby after living together for a certain period of time, a couple is considered married in the eyes of the law and can claim married staus. British countries accept common law marriages as legal and binding. The US DOES NOT accept common law partnerships and only recognizes married relations - particularly for immigration. You could immigate to Canada and they would recognize the common law relationship. (I live with my boyfriend and I could claim him as my spouse if we wanted to go to a British country.)

So if you are married to Pretty (which you are if you have never divorced her) you can sponser her.

Comment

Dragonlady, thank u very much for ur advice. i now need comments from other two learned members who asked me some questions.good wishes for u and ur lucky boyfriend.

Comment

Bill married Shama in 1975, after 19 years he married Pretty in 1994, after 8 years separated, Bill divorced Shama in 2003 in India.

First of all United States Immigration Laws does not recognizes this marriage. You are not in the British colony, This is United States of America.
                    How did they proof to the Consular Officer about their marriage?
                    Under Sec. 274C this looks like a documents fraud.
                    Sec. 275 Misrepresentation and concealment of facts.
                    Sec.277 Aiding or assisting aliens to enter the United States.
                    Person sponsored them into the United States and the applicants Bill and Sahma. Might be subject to Sec. 340 Revocation of naturalization.

If this is the case what "no" has stated then I think the Sec. 275, 277 and 340 will be applicable to them.
                    In case if you are talking about the Muslin Marriage Law, Like in some Arab Countries man can have four wifes at the same time. But that laws are not recognizes in many Muslim countries as well. But in case of US Laws only one spouse at a time.
                    Sundevilusa, You are so correct, you need to know where he is comming from.

Comment

dear Adam,u have dropped me in dilemma.i am terrified.now advise me if i go to canada and get permanent status there can i sponsor fr there to my wife or as common-in law partener?i think both status are accepted there.want ur legal answer as already provided.thanks

Comment

I think Sahma and Pretty would both be better off without Bill.

Comment

Shama and Bill are divorced. Pretty and Bill are married. He can sponsor his wife Pretty from India. No fraud because he married Shama -brought her to the US with him and they divorced.

Comment

Dragonlady thanks ,u r encouraging Bill while Adam is frightening Bill,Why is it so.ones opinion is based on moral values the other is quoting references fr law. what should Bill do now?

Comment

pls.Adam reanswer.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs