Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voted as an Illegal

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a similar case? I overstayed my visa!!!!!....but since I have a legal social security card and drivers license (obtained from a previous stay in this country), I have been able to work, pay taxes and graduate from college (always checking the box indicating that I am a US citizen).

However, I committed the unpardonable sin when I voted a couple years ago. A lawyer told me just to lay low and hope that one of my brothers gets married to a US citizen soon, has them petition for him...and eventually after he has become a citizen....maybe 10, 20 years down the road I might have a chance.

Is it true that the penalty for voting...besides deportation and being banned for life, is 4 1/2 years in prison, or $15,000? Yikes! I had no idea the consequences of my crime would be so severe that fateful day when I walked into the voting booth.

What do you think?

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a similar case? I overstayed my visa!!!!!....but since I have a legal social security card and drivers license (obtained from a previous stay in this country), I have been able to work, pay taxes and graduate from college (always checking the box indicating that I am a US citizen).

However, I committed the unpardonable sin when I voted a couple years ago. A lawyer told me just to lay low and hope that one of my brothers gets married to a US citizen soon, has them petition for him...and eventually after he has become a citizen....maybe 10, 20 years down the road I might have a chance.

Is it true that the penalty for voting...besides deportation and being banned for life, is 4 1/2 years in prison, or $15,000? Yikes! I had no idea the consequences of my crime would be so severe that fateful day when I walked into the voting booth.

What do you think?

Comment

Hmm? Did they change the law and institue a waiver for pretending to be a USC?

Comment

so you've committed about 50 federal crimes so far, but you're worried about your 51st?

you're such a model immigrant. Guys like you should be the backbone of this country.

"Laws? Who needs them!"

-= nav =-

Comment

Buddy, you are TOAST!
          Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Dear USC wannabe

Your lawyer is not the brightest guy either if the best advice he gave you was hoping your brother marries USC instead of telling YOU to marry USC where illegal overstay is forgiven and you will get real greencard in less than 8 months depending on the service center used.

But come on...just want to know why you took that chance to lie about being USC to vote??????? INquiring MINDS want to know!!

Like I always say. GREED will get u everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbreeze:
              I took the chance and voted because I already had lied on my employment application saying that I was a USC. I figured why not just go ahead and vote too. According to the lawyer I saw just this week, if only I hadn't voted I would still have a chance.

I so badly want to resolve my situation. I want to get my Master's in physical therapy...but I don't think they'd let me take the licensing exam. I'm supposed to go into the program this year and even have scholarships...but now I'm not so sure I should even go for it. Sigh....

Comment

Oh Great 4wow, 2nd Imperial Genie of ILW, I'm confused by your comment.

You say the lawyer should have told oceanbreeze to marry a USC, but I thought there is absolutely nothing he can do to remedy the situation.

moondin:

Exactly. This guy is way to blase' about the situation. No regret, remorse or claim of ignorance of the law.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't claiming to be a USC under ANY circumstance grounds for permanent deporation? People forget the I-9 is for immigration purposes. So, by claiming to be a USC when he got his job, he committed the Ultimate Immigration Sin.
                Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Jo ...Lol are those "Storm Troopers" getting closer.

That was my fascious point. lol. Lawyer tells guy that his brother may be able to help when he himself could do the same thing. But in essesence.. There is nothing that can be done b/c it is unforgivable, and removalble offense... But then again .. who's gonna know unless he is further idiot and tell someone what he did. But yes of course he will always have those sleepless nights wondering "Have they found out yet".

Not going to discuss the I-9 here for security purposes. But you are correct.

Maybe they should add the question "Did you ever pretend to be USC to the I-485 app.

Comment

Oceanbreeze,

You face a very serious problem, and voting is not necessarily it. The problem is that you have claimed to be a citizen (and voting goes along with this, as it demonstrates that you have used your citizenship for more than work purposes - so if there was any chance of arguing that side of things it is pretty much gone.)

Unfortunately, all of this is public record, and it sounds like you have been doing it for some time. There is always a chance that you can stop doing it, get married to a USC at some point and be able to adjust status without them ever picking up on your claims to be a USC. But if you have ever been fingerprinted, or if they in any way talk to any of your former employers or access your voting records, this becomes very unlikely. (And, of course, there seems to be a pretty good chance that they would run the social security number that they assigned you - I don't know exactly how much detail that would pick up, but you would really want to look into that!)

The other dangerous part is that there is also the possibility that if they were to discover this information at a later date they could decide to revoke the residency based on the fact that it was acquired fraudulently.

If I remember correctly, the bar for pretending to be a USC is 20 years to life with no chance for a waiver or anything else.

so a chance in 10-20 years sounds well, plausible (especially if the laws change, but unlikely otherwise, especially with your history!) Also, although they are more likely to deport you and ban you from the country then to waste taxpayers money by putting you in jail... everything will depend on what they think of you and how much of an example they want to make of you (and I cannot think of any reason for them not to fine you the $15,000... but I don't know much about the criminal aspect as opposed to the immigration aspect!)

There are always nuances to cases, and perhaps there is an angle that you can argue (although it sounds difficult the way you have been doing it) so, I would highly recommend that you seek the advice of a VERY skilled lawyer.

It does sound like you are fairly well educated, have you thought about seeing whether or not you would qualify for admission or residency in another country where you might be happy????

Best of luck.

Comment

Sorry 4wow, but I read the thread from an omniscient point of view, (too much lalala) and thought perhaps another reader might get confused.
                      Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Hey Jo

Scuse me Miss with that lalala. lol

no problem. Thanks for making me clarify. ur right others may have been mislead. I will try to do better... pst. dont tell the imperial Wizard or Still learning either.

Comment

Genies know everything without the help of little birdies.
                          Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Oceanbreeze buddy,

For a College Grad, you're not very bright...

Comment

if it makes you feel any better...voting records aren't "electronically stored". Make your own further assumptions here.

-= nav =-

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed