X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• permanant residenct filing for son above 21 unmarried

Hi
    My parents have recently got their permanant residece iN US and my query is how much time it will take if they sponsor my I130 . I am currently in US as F1 STUDENT . CAN u please update me with the processing timne since at california center it says now processing applications received on 10th feb 2005 ..so will it take only 2.5 years for me to get a green card ?? do i have to maintain my f1 student status after they file for me ? and for how lo0ng ...i am originally from india ...

Hi
    My parents have recently got their permanant residece iN US and my query is how much time it will take if they sponsor my I130 . I am currently in US as F1 STUDENT . CAN u please update me with the processing timne since at california center it says now processing applications received on 10th feb 2005 ..so will it take only 2.5 years for me to get a green card ?? do i have to maintain my f1 student status after they file for me ? and for how lo0ng ...i am originally from india ...

Comment

Your I-130 may be approved tomorrow but you would not be able to become permanent resident or get an immigrant visa before your priority date -PD-is current: date I-130 is submited is shown in visa bulletin:
      http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_3800.html

For your category F2B (unmarried son of PR) waiting time is now 9 years.

If your parents become US citizens, the waiting time may be a few years less. (They file for you now and upgrade the petition once the naturalize).

To be able to adjust status in the USA when your PD becomes current, you have to have some legal status here. So, yes - you have to maintain your status even after your parent files I-130 on your behalf.

Comment

I was permanent resident when i petitioned my son and im now naturalized. The current priority date is dec 1996 and my son's is jan 1997. Is it required to upgrade and will there be any difference if i upgrade?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alohamann:
          I was permanent resident when i petitioned my son and im now naturalized. The current priority date is dec 1996 and my son's is jan 1997. Is it required to upgrade and will there be any difference if i upgrade? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given your son's priority date, you're from the same country (kung saan ako lumaki at nagkaisip, hi kabayan!) where I grew up. Logically, it is not advisable that you upgrade your son's I-130 petition to F1 (Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens) because otherwise his December 1996 priority date would just be pushed back to June 1992. But you have to write the USCIS, NVC and the US Embassy in Manila that you wish to retain his F2B preference category and it's a must that he stays unmarried until he obtains his immigrant visa.

Comment

kababayan, salamat! I've read the updated article dated sept 1996 about the opt-out. We're relieve. However, my brother works in Qatar in the middle east so he had a change address and that's where he's been getting his petition mails. Is it advisable to process his optout in the phil or in qatar?

Comment

Where can i find instructions or steps to "opt out" that shows how, what to send, where, etc? My mom just got naturalized(im posting for my mom).

Comment

Mabuhay Kabayan: I'm going to answer your two posts at one time here.

The fact that your brother works in Qatar doesn't make it his address for immigration purposes. Every OFW's employment contract in the Middle East, however stable, is temporary. His priority date to become current is still a long way down the road, so does he want to take the chance? If you'll ask me, using his address in the Philippines is so much better.

For your second post concerning the "Opt Out" provision, these links may give you the answer(s) to your questions:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...sec6_32304.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrele...andV061406.pdf

Comment

How long does it usually take to process an "opt-out" request?

Comment

How would my brother know that his opt out request has been approved in Phil once he's back to Qatar bec that's where he's receiving his USCIS letters?

Thank you again

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed