X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage visa

Hi,

I am a US citizen and my wife is Australian. We got married three years ago in Australia because our original intent was to live there but we have since then decided to move to the states. We have been working together on cruise ships for six years, so we really haven't resided in the states or Australia. Does anyone have any advice as to what kind of petition we should file? Should we begin the K3 visa process? Can we file for that while working on ships or does it have to filed from her coutry? We really don't want to be apart. As soon as we're through with cruise ships we would like to move to the states and begin her green card process. I haven't found anyone with a similar situation, so anyone who can help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I am a US citizen and my wife is Australian. We got married three years ago in Australia because our original intent was to live there but we have since then decided to move to the states. We have been working together on cruise ships for six years, so we really haven't resided in the states or Australia. Does anyone have any advice as to what kind of petition we should file? Should we begin the K3 visa process? Can we file for that while working on ships or does it have to filed from her coutry? We really don't want to be apart. As soon as we're through with cruise ships we would like to move to the states and begin her green card process. I haven't found anyone with a similar situation, so anyone who can help will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi Atsea,

beside K3, you have an option of doing Direct Consular Filing which is regarded as the best option to bring spouse to the USA. If you go that route, you'll have to have a short vacation in Australia before flying together to the USA (you file I-130 in Australia).

For K3, you file I-130 and then I-129 in US. Your wife would have an interview in Australia for K3 visa. Although you may be absent while the petition is pending, you should make sure you receive and answer all the letters and requests for info from USCIS promptly to avoid delays. Can that be done while you are on a ship? K3 takes 5 - 8 months to complet.

Some detailed information on DCF in Australia:
      http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=64

Read about DCF and domicile issue (just in case). I assume you've filed the taxes in the US all those years.

Good luck

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed