Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greencard holder to apply for Citizenship but I want divorce

My husband is a greencard holder and I am a citizen. He wants to apply for citizenship. Currently we are seperated. He will be here 5 years in November and will apply for citizenship based on residency. Can we apply for divorce or will it affect his ability to get his citizenship?
    Does he need me to apply for citizenship

My husband is a greencard holder and I am a citizen. He wants to apply for citizenship. Currently we are seperated. He will be here 5 years in November and will apply for citizenship based on residency. Can we apply for divorce or will it affect his ability to get his citizenship?
    Does he need me to apply for citizenship

Comment

Hi Viney,

Your husband can qualify for citizenship on his own if he's had his LPR for five years.

Comment

I'm sorry... LPR?

Comment

Legal Permanent Resident (green card). Sorry I confused you!

Comment

He doesn't need you to apply for citisenship based upon having acquired 5 years of legal permanent residence.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by viney76:
            Does he need me to apply for citizenship </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by viney76:
              Does he need me to apply for citizenship </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can apply 4 years and 9 months from date on his greencard. or he could have applied 2 years and 9 months from date on greencard based on marrige to usc. You no longer qualify for the marriage based becuase of the seperation.

It is not the amount of time he has been in the country that counts.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation