X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MakeItRight!
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iperson:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakeItRight!:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iperson:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When it comes to multiple ID's I don't see it being a problem except when the purpose of it is to hurl insults and avoid accountability. Publicly divulging personal information about another poster is a definite cause for immediate and permanent suspension. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with these points. However, why does a person need an alter id unless they are trying to hide something or play some game? There's been too much of this going on lately. I'm sure the technology exists to curb this problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. Technology only goes as far, and it cannot pass a human judgement.
    If Sam wants this discussion board be open to new posters which come in droves every day, technology is not capable of making judgements which new ids are genuine or multiples. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Disagree!!!! Your ID becomes your Laptop IP.
    When you sign up in order to post you must verify your E-mail address or enter codes in the verification box. This poses problems for multiple terminal access, Blackberry's, PC, Mac, Server Interface, I Phone, Etc. Could Limit 2 ID's per???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

MIR, what kind of nonsense. An email address is not connected to your computer in any way, which you've proven in your next sentence. One person may be using different devices to access internet, and the only way to verify is IP address.
    Some IP addresses are dynamic, as Sam mentioned someone is using Verizon (and I know who ), thus so a moderator judgement is the ultimate verification pass.
    There is no technology available to discern whether new registration is a new poster or a double.

Today Sam you could delete the following identities: .sonofmichael, SonofMicheal (-ea), TruthRevealed, Satan, and be sure those are multiple troublemakers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These Emmoticons are so cool!!! Let me do it again
    they put them here for a reason!!!

P.S. SAM, we need more Emmoticons please.

IP, there are approx. 4 Regular posters here that are so very Advanced in Software Engineering and Computer Sciences. Give it Up and Lets make positive changes that can benefit all posters.

Your IP address Is Irrelevant!!! Somewhere Along your travels Your Computer Identification Has Already Been Logged!!!! How Many do you have??? You Cannot Change It!!!

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I Disagree!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PM Sam with any tips you may have, or you could give him links and sites he could use for reference.

Leave a comment:

• MakeItRight!
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When it comes to multiple ID's I don't see it being a problem except when the purpose of it is to hurl insults and avoid accountability. Publicly divulging personal information about another poster is a definite cause for immediate and permanent suspension. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with these points. However, why does a person need an alter id unless they are trying to hide something or play some game? There's been too much of this going on lately. I'm sure the technology exists to curb this problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. Technology only goes as far, and it cannot pass a human judgement.
    If Sam wants this discussion board be open to new posters which come in droves every day, technology is not capable of making judgements which new ids are genuine or multiples. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Disagree!!!! Your ID becomes your Laptop IP.
    When you sign up in order to post you must verify your E-mail address or enter codes in the verification box. This poses problems for multiple terminal access, Blackberry's, PC, Mac, Server Interface, I Phone, Etc. Could Limit 2 ID's per????

Leave a comment:

• MakeItRight!
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
    I don't want the job. Can't imagine playing net nannie. I would suggest a simplified yet specific set of rules that leave little latitude to interpretation but still afford some amount of disagreement between posters to keep things lively . That who ever is picked be restricted to operating within the realm of enforcing those rules. Their procedures should be limited to deleting posts or portions of posts only. Beyond that it should escalate to Sam.

What the rules are could be open for suggestion. A framework could be build up from those things which are on their face obvious. A valid question would be, does the post intend to harm some specific person beyond the scope of disagreement? The gray area is when it comes to name calling. Calling a person stupid, idiotic, trailer trash, visa cheat, or similar low level defamations should be tolerated. Some might disagree with that. But if a person is going to throw out a controversial opinion they should be equally willing to take some heat for it. Crossing the line would be the use of bas.tard, bit.ch, hook.er, s.o.b, or those things intended to inflict personal harm.

When it comes to multiple ID's I don't see it being a problem except when the purpose of it is to hurl insults and avoid accountability. Publicly divulging personal information about another poster is a definite cause for immediate and permanent suspension. That could be open for interpretation since in some cases a person may have something posted on another site and someone else makes it known here. It's in the wild so to speak with it being already available. That might have to be left to a determination of intent based on it's use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And

Who has the time or patience to be NET NANNY??

Leave a comment:

• ProudUSC
    replied

I agree with these points. However, why does a person need an alter id unless they are trying to hide something or play some game? There's been too much of this going on lately. I'm sure the technology exists to curb this problem.

Leave a comment:

• MakeItRight!
    replied
    Hint:

1.)This board was designed with ease of use in mind. Also well designed.

2.)This board was not designed for games.

3.)Any modification would require changes that might not be desirable to the owners.

4.)IP addresses are so 90's.

5.)computer addresses/Identification requires Authentication for new ID's and or verification upon posting. one method. No longer ease of use to some.

Leave a comment:

• Aroha
    replied
    These days, very few IP addresses change regularly. With always-on connections, people generally only reboot modems if there's a problem and in most cases, this isn't enough to force an IP refresh. Generally, it's only the last two digits that change, if any.

Most people would have little trouble distinguishing if someone has a multiple ID, given access to the IP addresses. Most are reasonably obvious as it is - however caution should always be taken by any moderator before action is taken, particularly if they're unsure.

There would also need to be a specific set of rules to avoid situations where someone was unfairly punished simply because the moderator has a personal beef with them, or simply didn't like what they said.

It's a tall order!

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakeItRight!:
    A few could recommend ways of controlling the multiple ID issue. Ways exist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PM Sam and tell him about it, please.

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    This is the problem. If you're gonna chose a moderator, Sam, or allow a member to volunteer, you need to look for somebody who is not going to allow the same old to continue. I think you can do that very easily.

And I will insist on eVerify, it's a free tool, very simple, quick results, and a shield against liability. A natural choice for any person dealing with immigration issues, as you well know.

Glad to see you come back, I hope you do take care of things this time.

Leave a comment:

• MakeItRight!
    replied
    A few could recommend ways of controlling the multiple ID issue. Ways exist.

Leave a comment:

• Aroha
    replied
    On another note, whoever you choose as Moderator (and it should be more than one person) should not be made public, for reasons I believe have already become obvious in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• federale86
    replied
    Same with Hudson, Houston, and Aroha, they have personal agendas, are ill tempered and like to start flame wars. Glad to see that many on both sides agree on Davdah.

Leave a comment:

• Aroha
    replied
    Multiple ID's, people abusing others are two of the issues, but there are several others as well. The constant spamming of certain people for their own personal agendas is also an issue. The place has become a hostile environment to anybody seeking information and advice. Frankly, it's become a joke.

SOM and iPerson, you two are also guilty of posting real names and photos. Both of you have posted both Sprint and Houston's real names and photos. iP, you regularly refer to people by their real first names. You may have changed the topic titles and removed the information afterwards, but the information was already out there.

Leave a comment:

• federale86
    replied
    Davadah would be a good moderator, but Sprint, Brit and their ilk are part of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    If you're serious about this board, Sam, then you should remove all the offensive and off-topic threads (while preserving them for evidence in any possible criminal investigation), and look very seriously into those who are using fake IDs to harm others.

Since this is an immigration board and given the fact this board is naturally a place aliens visit, both legal and illegal, it would be I think very prudent to run e-Verify before engaging the services of a moderator.

I would suggest Brit, Hudson, Aroha or Davdah to run moderate this board, they are clearly in legal status and respected members of this community.

As for those using fake IDs to make threats of violence and blackmail, or to encourage crime, that alone is an illegal act and the identity of those members could be very easily obtained by subpoena.

You, Sam, are not Congress or the Government, you have few restrictions when it comes to restricting speech here. I suggest you take advantage of that.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation