Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-751 question

My husband, a British citizen, and I married in March 2001. In July 2002 he received his conditional permanent green card. In late June 2004 we filed with the Vermont Service Center to remove the conditional status. Several weeks later we received a I-797 which extended his status until July 2005. In January 2005 we received a letter from the Vermont Service Center stating that our petition was being forwarded to Newark (our district office, as we live in NJ) to await an interview schedule date. We assumed we had not sent enough of the proper paperwork. I had bad credit for years so we had kept our finances separate. Now my credit is good and we have lots of bill, etc. in both our names. We are not worried about the actual interview as anyone that is around us for 2 minutes can tell we married.

In February 2005 we wrote to the Newark District office to find out when the interview might be. A few weeks later we received a letter from a District Adjudication Officer who stated Newark was at that time scheduling cases they had received in March 2004 from the Vermont Service Center.

In May 2005 we went to Newark where my husband received an extension stamp in his passport. This stamp, (I-551) expires in May 2006.

In the meantime, his UK passport will expire in April 2006. He will then no longer have the I-551 stamp. Once he hands in his present passport (which he will have to do to obtain a new one) he will lose the I-551 stamp it contains.

He needs proof of his right to work in U.S. and he also needs to be able to travel abroad, both for his employer, and to see his father in England, who is in his 80's and not in the best of health.

A few months ago I went to the Newark office to inquire about his case but was told they could not tell me anything about the scheduling.

In December 2005 we wrote to Newark again, to the attention of the District Adjudication Officer who had replied to us before, to inquire about when the interview might be scheduled.

Today we received a form letter from the California Service Center, stating that we had recently submitted an inquiry to them! It said to call the Customer Service Center. I did, as it was as pointless and uninformative as always. The letter also said to track our case online, but my computer can't get onto that part of their site.

We plan to go to the British Embassy in DC sometime in the next few weeks. I was told that they might be able to renew his passport within a few days. Then we will go to Newark to get a new I-551 stamp. He really can't be without it as his employer may send him abroad anytime, at short notice.

But when will we finally get this I-751 interview???

We currently don't have a lawyer. Do we need one to sort all this out?

Does it actually help to ask your local congressmen to look into it? We are probably moving by the end of spring; we will still be living in NJ but definitely will be in a different congressional district.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry this is so long.

My husband, a British citizen, and I married in March 2001. In July 2002 he received his conditional permanent green card. In late June 2004 we filed with the Vermont Service Center to remove the conditional status. Several weeks later we received a I-797 which extended his status until July 2005. In January 2005 we received a letter from the Vermont Service Center stating that our petition was being forwarded to Newark (our district office, as we live in NJ) to await an interview schedule date. We assumed we had not sent enough of the proper paperwork. I had bad credit for years so we had kept our finances separate. Now my credit is good and we have lots of bill, etc. in both our names. We are not worried about the actual interview as anyone that is around us for 2 minutes can tell we married.

In February 2005 we wrote to the Newark District office to find out when the interview might be. A few weeks later we received a letter from a District Adjudication Officer who stated Newark was at that time scheduling cases they had received in March 2004 from the Vermont Service Center.

In May 2005 we went to Newark where my husband received an extension stamp in his passport. This stamp, (I-551) expires in May 2006.

In the meantime, his UK passport will expire in April 2006. He will then no longer have the I-551 stamp. Once he hands in his present passport (which he will have to do to obtain a new one) he will lose the I-551 stamp it contains.

He needs proof of his right to work in U.S. and he also needs to be able to travel abroad, both for his employer, and to see his father in England, who is in his 80's and not in the best of health.

A few months ago I went to the Newark office to inquire about his case but was told they could not tell me anything about the scheduling.

In December 2005 we wrote to Newark again, to the attention of the District Adjudication Officer who had replied to us before, to inquire about when the interview might be scheduled.

Today we received a form letter from the California Service Center, stating that we had recently submitted an inquiry to them! It said to call the Customer Service Center. I did, as it was as pointless and uninformative as always. The letter also said to track our case online, but my computer can't get onto that part of their site.

We plan to go to the British Embassy in DC sometime in the next few weeks. I was told that they might be able to renew his passport within a few days. Then we will go to Newark to get a new I-551 stamp. He really can't be without it as his employer may send him abroad anytime, at short notice.

But when will we finally get this I-751 interview???

We currently don't have a lawyer. Do we need one to sort all this out?

Does it actually help to ask your local congressmen to look into it? We are probably moving by the end of spring; we will still be living in NJ but definitely will be in a different congressional district.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry this is so long.

Comment

Hi busy bee,

your congressman may get some information from the USCIS regarding your case in the matter of days. So, yes, I think it would be worthwhile to involve him... now.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation