X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TAX ID??

hELLO EVERYONE,
    I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get a tax identification card, it always helps once i get the green card it's always a plus, isn't it. my question is how can pay tax illegaly without having a job, no income, and how do illegal immigrants usually do this thing, once somebody is illegal then they are not allowe to work here right, so who is tax id for, i really want to get one.
    one more question: any hungarian imigration lawyers anyone would trust??????? many thanks.

hELLO EVERYONE,
    I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get a tax identification card, it always helps once i get the green card it's always a plus, isn't it. my question is how can pay tax illegaly without having a job, no income, and how do illegal immigrants usually do this thing, once somebody is illegal then they are not allowe to work here right, so who is tax id for, i really want to get one.
    one more question: any hungarian imigration lawyers anyone would trust??????? many thanks.

Comment

Hi csunkala!
      Welcome fellow Hungarian!
      I can't help with your tax question, nor with the lawyer, but if you do find one, please let me know.
      Good luck!

Comment

Tax ID number is used to open bank accounts, for education, etc. not related to employment. It is also used to pay taxes on unearned income, i.e. on dividends, interest, gift tax, etc.

Comment

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWER. It helps a lot. Now the reason i'm asking is becuase, yes a got a letter from my bank that i have to pay tax on my interst, and i don't know how to do it since i'm not legal here, and i don't want to fill out the form they have sent me. i would rather pay it in a different way since a lot is a as you said, gift, unearned income. What should i do??? I would like to pay what i owe but how should i do it??? Thanks aibolit!!

Comment

From what I've heard, the Internal Revenue Service is now issuing ITINs (tax ID numbers) ONLY to those illegal aliens who file tax returns. I'd check the IRS website to find out the procedure.

Comment

aliba,
              would you know if the IRS would issue someone with an ITIN even if the person is illegal.

i believe from the forms you fill to apply for an ITIN you give info on your immigration status , so i'm wondering if one filed a tax return for work done as an illegal alien you could still be issued with an ITIN
              any one know enough about this to chip in?
              thx

Comment

The IRS doesn't care about immigration status, but they do want taxes paid. They found many people were getting ITINs and not filing returns or paying taxes (using the ITIN for ID, though), so now, you have to file a tax return to get one. How that works, I don't know--check the IRS website. Probably under Dept. of Treasury.

Comment

Hi, here is the url for tax id info

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96287,00.html

I am in similar situation as you. Only learned the tax id thing early this year and I am going to file tax return under my name for this year so that I can obtain a tax id.

Comment

thanks aliba and sutra,

sutra - have filed a tax return previously? if this is going to be your first time, the form require you to give a reason why you are eligible to file the return.

i've gone over the form w7 and it appears to me you have to establish some basis for the income. so what do say when you are illegal and don't have work authorisation esp if you are required to submit details of your immigration status.

any thoughts?

Comment

Hi Yoiyoi,
                      This will be the first time I file tax return under my name.
                      You said : the form require you to give a reason why you are eligible to file the return.
                      That is correct. According to the hearsay and my presumption, as long as you make money from this country, you MUST pay tax. I think that the law is contradictive, one on hand yes with my status I can't work; on the other, I must pay tax if I make money. I personally know a couple of people who are in the same situation as me, file tax return every year. It seems like IRS treats all tax payer 'equal', whether a tax payer can work legally or not, is someone else concerned.
                      Some very good American friends told me I better don't file as they are concern I may get myself into trouble, by submitting my status to IRS, however, regardless my status, I feel it's my obligation to pay my share.

If you read my other post, you'll know my situation, so this is my sincere thought: Should I get into trouble by filing tax, than perhaps this is my karma for breaking the immigration law at the first place, then I must accept it

I travled half the globa and lived at many countries before I came to the US. There are many good things about this country that make me appreciate and want to explore more, however, having a green card isn't the goal I have for my life. Should I be deported, it's quite likely my husband-to-be will follow me to my country and live there happy after That being said, we have nothing to worry.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation