No announcement yet.

F1 to J1

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • F1 to J1


    Can I change my status from F1 to J1 while I am in the US.



  • #2

    Can I change my status from F1 to J1 while I am in the US.




    • #3
      I'm sorry that you don't get a reply from anyone, I hope you will. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer or have no idea whatsoever about your case. But just keep hoping, someone (hopefully) WILL answer, so don't give up.
      Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.


      • #4
        <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tovy:

        Can I change my status from F1 to J1 while I am in the US.


        Tovy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

        While in the US? Here's my take on this. You currently are in F1 status, and the H-1B petition that was filed on your behalf this fiscal year was not randomly selected (other post), where I said that in my opinion, you just have to stay enrolled and keep your current F1 nonimmigrant classification; because obviously, you just want to prolong your valid stay so that next year, boom! you can file an H-1B petition again, right? I don't blame you for that, you're striving to do it the right way anyhow. Even without knowing your underlying reasons, I know it's not easy to leave America once you're here. It happens all the time to many individuals.

        The J1 exchange visitor program is designed to promote the interchange of persons, knowledge, and skills in the fields of education, arts, and sciences. It's a US Department of State and Exchange Visitor Program thing, meaning, a consular visa processing (outside of the US) is normally involved. Yes, you have to go back to your home country or even a "third country" for that matter to process your DS-2019. Yes, it's different from the I-20 that you're familiar with right now in relation to your F1 status.

        Furthermore, the institution that will sponsor you must be designated by the DOS to conduct such an exchange program or training and - very important - your vocational classification should be one among the list of areas of expertise also designated by the DOS.

        There are more details involved such as the two-year residency requirement after the program and/or waivers, that your legal counsel is for sure in a more appropriate position to explain.

        (Just my opinion, so take it or leave it).


        • #5
          To make it short and sweet,
          No you can not!!!

          This is not opinion by the its a fact.

          I was in the U.S. many years ago as an Au Pair,which requires you to have a J1 visa,and in order to obtain a J1 visa,you have to have a sponsor with $$$ etc...and U have to file it and have it aproved in your origin country,not the US.

          vice versa, my friend was also here with a J1 visa and wanted to become a student here to study,so he had to apply for a F1 visa,but had to go back to his country to file for it,which only took him 3 weeks by the way...

          Another buddy of mine,actually a girl...she was here as an exchange student,which also is a J1 visa...and after HS she wanted to stay here and have an F1 visa for 5 years to study....
          she applied in the US and got an answer that she had to go back to her country to apply for it...her host family even talked with an attorney,but the law is locked.You MUST apply from your home country for those kinds of Visa such as J1 and F1 visa...


          Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

          Home Page

          Immigration Daily


          Processing times

          Immigration forms

          Discussion board



          Twitter feed

          Immigrant Nation


          CLE Workshops

          Immigration books

          Advertise on ILW



          About ILW.COM

          Connect to us



          Immigration Daily