Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO BILL THIS YEAR

The senate just voted to reject consideration of an immigration bill. Sorry NO guest worker program this year!

The senate just voted to reject consideration of an immigration bill. Sorry NO guest worker program this year!

Comment

So what's the big deal? The Frist bill, as is, is not going to be voted on.
      The immigration debate is not over, not by a long shot. It's only being delayed. I happen to think that a more restrictive version of the Hagel bill will eventually prevail, only to be restricted even more by the House.
      The President and the Senate brought up the issue of the GWP, debate will not end until the GPW is passed into law, one way or another. I only hope that such program does not turn into another worthless statute, unable to contribute to solve the immigration crisis.

Comment

where did you read that the debate will continue? what happened is obvious - the bill got killed because the democrats will not vote on anything more restrictive than the Martinez/Hagel amendment since nomatter what happens it is in their political favor. When senators return from the April recess they will continue on their schedule and not go back to this "locked" situation on this bill. They just dont have more time to waste on something that is not going anywhere.... So for this years the show is over....

Comment

The bill got killed because too many of us remember the 1986 amnesty, with its promise of workplace enforcement--a promise which was never fulfilled.

If Congress wants a guest worker program in the future, it had better hope this Administration shows some muscle on enforcing the laws that already exist, especially workplace sanctions.
          The longer it refuses to, the harder it is to refute any accusations that this is a repeat of the 1986 amnesty.

Comment

I thought they'll revote another one after the recess? Or are they done for good? If they're done and the Senate doesn't pass their own version, what'll happen to the House Bill?

Comment

This is good news for USCIS. They are working hard to reduce the backlog of applications. Imagine how 7 million new applications will change the processing times at USCIS.

Comment

The bill got "killed" (I would say 'put off') simply because this is an election year. Most in the Senate know the GWP is inevitable, but nobody wants to compromise a vote. A super-enforcement bill will come soon, along with an all-out amnesty program. That is just what I never wanted to see, but I guess it's inevitable.
                The debate will continue, maybe not now, but it will go on. The efforts shown by the SJC are not going to go to waste, you can bet on that.
                Right now, there's going to be no GWP, no H.R. 4437 and everything will remain the same. This is perfect for politicians seeking re-election who will use immigration to serve their own ambitions.

Comment

Gotta've to agree. Those that are waiting for USCIS to process their case can breath a sigh of relief...even if its a temporary one.

Another big blow for dubya though. Time's up I guess.

Comment

It's for the best that nothing will be done on immigation this year. The House bill and Senate bill were both terrible and unenforceable. They will both die at the end of this congressional session and have to be reintroduced.

I don't see anything like H.R. 4437 getting through the House next year especially if the Democrats take control. Also, regardless of who controls the House, Sensenbrenner will no longer chair the House Judiciary Committee. If the Democrats take over it will be Rep. Conyers. If the Republicans keep control then Rep. Lamar Smith could become chairman. This wouldn't be good for pro-amnesty forces. Rep. Smith was the principle author of the IIRAIRA of 1996 and is notorious for his anti-immigrant views. Rumor is that he's falling out of favor in his district and finally has a challenger this year. His affiliation with Tom Delay doesn't help him either.

I expect the Administration to continue with it's plan to ramp up enforcement of our current laws. They need to show results if they want their guest-worker program.

Comment

WE WANT IS FOR YOU PEOPLE TO FOLLOW THE LAW AND COME HERE LEGALLY
                      It is not possible to follow the current broken immigration laws.

TELL ME HOW i CAN BRING 100 OF MEXICAN CARPENTERS, CONSTRUCTION WORKERS AND AGRICULTURE WORKERS LEGALLY TODAY?????????????????????

NO LEGAL WAY TO HIRE THEM LEGALLLY ... SO ................ THEY HAVE TO JUMP THE BORDER BECAUSE LOOOOOT OF WORK IS WAITING FOR THEM IN THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!!!!!!

FAILURE OF GUEST WORKER PROGRAM MEANS THAT AMERICA DOES NOT NEED LEGAL WORKERS – THEY NEED ILLEGAL WORKERS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO EXPLOIT THEM.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation