Am I a citizen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where you would file to obtain records, (USCIS)but when I recently asked for mine...they wrote to me and said unfortunately there is a 16 months waiting list!

I won't need them then! I need mine now! lol

Good luck
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

Rough Neighbor - excellent point.

Sprint_girl07 - please look at my post above. True, it may take time but certainly not 16 months. Besides, I always advise everyone to keep COPIES of whatever they've sent to any business or government institution.

Another point - never TALK to USCIS as they're famous for giving a misleading information and it doesn't leave any trace - try arguing afterward that you've been given bad advice?!
      Always ask IN WRITING - that way they have to respond the same way and, at least, you have something to confront them with. That's an IRON RULE when dealing with any government department and most businesses.

Comment

Verbalist they wrote to me with that information.
        They said that they have a massive backlog at present and at the moment the waiting list is 16 months.

Now I don't know if that is nationally or what or just from the offices where my records went to.

I did keep copies of my papers, unfortunately the (***) of my ex stole them from me, so I need copies for myself for my lawyer.
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

What they did say is that the only way to get them quicker would be showing proof that I was going up in front of Immigration court or whatever its called. (risk of deportation).and to prove that without them it would harm my case.

Comment

This is one of the emails I got:

If you would like to submit a FOIA request regarding your file you can submit it one of three ways:

You can mail it to our office at:

National Records Center

FOIA/PA Office

P.O. Box 648010

Lee's Summit, MO 64064-8010

Via Fax: 816-350-5785

Or via e-mail by scanning your documents in and attaching them to your e-mail.

It is unfortunately taking us approximately 16 months to process requests due to a backlog. We are working fervently to reduce the backlog but it takes time.

Comment

Sprint_girl07 - I didn't realize the delay is so long nowadays. Are you sure the records cannot be reconstructed? You didn't say anything about your case but routine records are maintained by other offices of the government. If you could be more specific I'm sure someone here could help you.

Good luck.

P.S. File FOIA anyway, you may need that in the future and it doesn't cost anything.

Comment

I am a Green Card holder, so its not really to prove anything to USCIS unless of course my ex still is trying to make out that I defrauded him.
                Been married 6 yrs, so he is trying to come up with some stupid excuse.

Anyway...in my case its for the family courts, and they don't have a clue about immigration, I need a copy of the affidavit and all the other documents that my ex signed and all the copies of documents that we had to submit.

I had copies of everything, including orginals and my ex stole them off me, except a few.

I spoke to immigration lawyer and basically they told me to get hold of my documents from USCIS in case the judge wants to see them to determine who is telling the truth...(pathetic I know)
                Ex insists he has no documents, so I want to get hold of some copies just in case.

I spoke to and wrote to USCIS, and they wrote back saying there is a long delay.
                They also told me that I have no chance in getting them earlier unless I am going in front of Immigration.

Apparently your records once you are a GC go to a central office or something, or you have to apply through a central office.

I will be having a Immigration attorney at the courts just in case, to explain the process of immigration to judge.

Thanks

Comment

Sprint_girl - Affidavits need to be notarized. So, reconstruct them to the best of your recollection and contact the notary public who notarized them. All notarized documents are supposed to be entered in the notary's book (or computer). These records will show the nature of a document, name of the person executing them and a date of notarization.

It is not a proof but at least you will be able to show the judge that your ex had executed certain documents. Also, provide your lawyer with the USCIS response and a copy of your FOIA application. All of it should count for something.

Comment

It was a bank who notorized them? Would they log it?
                    I do have an older one that was notorized and filled in, but he put wrong info on wrong line so we had to get newer ones before we sent them off.

He also claims that he is not my sponsor...(yeah right) lol
                    Somehow he came up in court with a copy of a paper from USCIS saying that he could not be my sponsor..I did not personally see it and they never gave us a copy of this (yet in discovery he claims he has no docs whatsoever).
                    It must be forged as I never seen any documents especially as it was addressed to me too.
                    Anyway..we had our interview, I got my 10 yr green card with no conditions, so where did he get that so called paper?
                    Weird

Oops sorry..Im taking over someones posting here

Comment

Sprint girl - Ok, so start another post.

The bank will most definitely have the records (although it's notary's responsibility to keep them).

I can't speculate about your ex's letter from USCIS but it shouldn't matter as it was not disclosed to you. Show your attorney the instructions for I-860 and point out to him that the husband must be a primary sponsor even if he doesn't qualify financially. this should help.

Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed