Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last name

so i have an interview coming up. I got married to a muslim man, didn't know much about the religion at the time of the marriage, so my marriage certificate says my new surname is his last name. a few months after we got married i started learning and researching about the religion and i converted almost immediately. and found out that women are forbidden to take their husband's last name, that they will be only known by their father's name on the day of judgement. So I did NOT change it. religion is more important to me than my hubby's immigration status. my question is, do you think USCIS will question me about that? I am thinking about producing a notarized letter from the mosque testifying that i am not allowed to take my husband's name just in case they don't believe me. what do you think?

so i have an interview coming up. I got married to a muslim man, didn't know much about the religion at the time of the marriage, so my marriage certificate says my new surname is his last name. a few months after we got married i started learning and researching about the religion and i converted almost immediately. and found out that women are forbidden to take their husband's last name, that they will be only known by their father's name on the day of judgement. So I did NOT change it. religion is more important to me than my hubby's immigration status. my question is, do you think USCIS will question me about that? I am thinking about producing a notarized letter from the mosque testifying that i am not allowed to take my husband's name just in case they don't believe me. what do you think?

Comment

I have lived all my life in Middle-East and have learned a lot about religion "Islam".

There is a Hadis that after the marriage Muslim girls do not take her husbands last name.

If you need more information on this subject you can visit WWW.ARABNEWS.COM and you will find the section on Islam.
      The person who writes his Name is ADIL SALAHI, he is very knowledgeable and will give you the information you are looking for.
      There are many Christian girls who have also not changed the last name after marriage.
      It is your option. Their is no such law.

Comment

your a nice wife arent you. In any event the name is easily changed back to your maiden name and be easy/ Islam isnt supposed to cause you to be hardcore.

Comment

Aamna,
          We are very pleased to know you have embraced Islam(Alhamdolillah).Indeed you are now on the right path and we fully agree with your views.
          May Allah grant you all the blessings in this world and the life hereafter(Ameen).

Comment

I guess my ex-husband either didn't know about this or didn't care. He is Muslim and I took his last name, but will not keep it since we divorced. He pretended to be proud that I changed my last name and would call me by my new name and his wife often.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation