Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's License

Is there any way to get a driver's license renewed without a valid greencard, only a social security number?

Is there any way to get a driver's license renewed without a valid greencard, only a social security number?

Comment

Yes,if you live in certain states where the legislation was passed to allow illegal aliens obtain D/L.
      I don't know in what States exactly,but you can inquire in your local DMV.
      Good luck.

P.S. I assumed you were here illegaly, or else you wouldn't say "only social security card".
      But in case if you are here legally on any of the non-immigrant visa's, just present your passport vith valid I-94 and that should be it in most states(for purposes of prooving the legal presence in US and identification).

Again, good luck.

Comment

Tennessee is one of them

Comment

I think that is incorrect information from E.:
          Since 9/11 aliens illegally present or out of status are not to be issued driver's licenses. Congress is debating and hasn't issued such an amendment yet, but more or less all states have submitted to this practice as of yet. One state not participating defies the entire purpose of combating domestic terrorism. Note that this is not my definition of who is or who isn't a terrorist, but the potential is thereas we've learned bitterly from 9/11!

Comment

IN OREGON YOU CAN STILL GET A D.L. IF YOU ARE ILLEGAL. I GUESS SINCE IN THE STATE OF OREGON SINCE YOU HAVE TO HAVE AUTO INSURANCE TO DRIVE, YOU HAVE TO HAVE A LICENSE. I THINK IT IS SMART.

IT CUTS DOWN ON UNINSURED DRIVERS. YOU KNOW PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DRIVE ANYWAY TO GET TO WORK, DR APPTS, ETC......WHETHER THEY HAVE LICENSE OR INSURANCE OR NOT!!

Comment

Congress has not told all the states what their requirements must be to issue a DL! Every state is different in its identity requirements. About 4 or 5 have no legal presence requirement whatsoever, including Oregon, Tennessee, formaerly NC, and possible now MD. Many do not have a legal presence requirement, -per se, but ask for documents hard to produce without legal presence. However there is *no state* in the entire union that insists on a green card as its only acceptable proof of legal presence. Just an F-1 visa, or any status that includes permission to work is good in any state, I believe. Tourist status is not sufficient, in general. So, the answer to your question is: it depends on what state. The United States does not have a unified license issuing authority as they have in some other countries. However- be aware! You can only legally get a license in the state where you reside! Sometimes foreigners do not realize this part of U.S. licensing law.

Comment

An illegal can get a driver license in Nevada, at least, that's how it was a few years ago.
                Have a nice day

Comment

In Washington, you can get your license. All you need is your birth certificate and one other piece of ID to prove who you are. It was very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana:
                    In Washington, you can get your license. All you need is your birth certificate and one other piece of ID to prove who you are. It was very easy.
                    Is this Washington State or Washington D.C.?

Comment

Washington State
                      Forgot to mention, when my husband got his D.L., they also asked for his marriage license as another part of ID

Comment

Angie--You shouldn't and don't need to give driver's licenses to illegal aliens to get them to drive safely. Just enforce the immigration laws--if the threat of deportation is there if you don't obey them, you'd be amazed at how quickly an illegal alien would learn how to behave. The "sanctuary" policies and laws are counterproductive in this respect.

As for insurance--no proof that illegal aliens would get insurance, or keep it. (Maybe someone should do a study in states where illegals already do get licenses.) Would you, if you had a minimum wage job, and were sending hundreds of dollars a month home? And, if they're in a serious accident, they'll still run because the immigration authorities would probably be notified.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation