Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Debate Stirs Racial Tensions

Sociologist Gonzalo Santos of California State University at Bakersfield said immigration is just the latest example of social policy issues taking on racial overtones in America.

"People talk about immigration as if race doesn't matter, saying 'No, I don't have anything against immigrants or Mexicans, it's just the illegal part of it I don't like.' But those are code words," he said.

"We experience race in this country through issues like welfare policy, anti-poverty programs and now immigration."

Near Houston, two white teenagers were arrested in April, accused of beating a Latino youth and sodomizing him with a pipe. Days later, on Long Island, a white teen was accused of threatening two Latinos with a machete and a chain saw. Police say ethnic slurs were used in each case.
    In Herndon, Va., opponents of a day laborer work site regularly picket it, taking photographs of workers and threatening to follow them home, said Bill Threlkeld, director of Project Hope and Harmony, a nonprofit that runs the site.

Sociologist Gonzalo Santos of California State University at Bakersfield said immigration is just the latest example of social policy issues taking on racial overtones in America.

"People talk about immigration as if race doesn't matter, saying 'No, I don't have anything against immigrants or Mexicans, it's just the illegal part of it I don't like.' But those are code words," he said.

"We experience race in this country through issues like welfare policy, anti-poverty programs and now immigration."

Near Houston, two white teenagers were arrested in April, accused of beating a Latino youth and sodomizing him with a pipe. Days later, on Long Island, a white teen was accused of threatening two Latinos with a machete and a chain saw. Police say ethnic slurs were used in each case.
    In Herndon, Va., opponents of a day laborer work site regularly picket it, taking photographs of workers and threatening to follow them home, said Bill Threlkeld, director of Project Hope and Harmony, a nonprofit that runs the site.

Comment

Ive always thought that this debate is not about illegal immigration, this debate is about keeping america white.

Dont listen to people telling you " i dont have a problem with legal immigration' and just like the article says, those are only codes to deflects racism claims...Ill say that 90% of the enforcemtn-only bill supporters, are the ones that desperatly wants to halt all type of immigration because they just feel that the white population is losing its majority in american and they wants to protect that at all cost and there is any other way to do this but to shut down every single flows that permits immigrants from entring this country and evn wants to throw millions that are already in, out.

Comment

Jean

thats a crock and you know it. this sounds like the black people's cry some time back, that everything that happened bad to them.. it was because they were black. and never took any responsibilty for what really may have been wrong. its called scapegoating. Instead of fessing up to yea im an illegal. and taking responsiblity for of blame. it is easier to switch it up and play race card/ cast aspersions and try to place guilt trips citing racism as reason and not the fact they people are up in arms about "being illegal".

Are you trying to say that americans would not be upset if all this illegal immigration were eastern europe, canadians, uk, australians(non aboriginal) albanians, croations.. that none of these issues would even be an issue? Of course a lot of americans are stupid/ignorant and dont know the differnce by looking at these people that they are foreign to US. all they see is light or white skin. I have to disagree.. as you know italians, the polish, and the irish are white skinned people , and they went thru a terrible hell for many years in this country. Only in the past 40/50 years or so has it not been an issue. Where do you think the word "ghetto" became popularized from.

Comment

4now, responsibility is two way traffic, not one.

I can't hummer your head and then claim that it was your responsibility for putting your head in the way of my swinging a hummer.
          It is different story from when you hummer your head by yourself.

Comment

af .. I think u posted to the wrong thread

Comment

No, I responded to your post.

Comment

QUOTE-this sounds like the black people's cry some time back, that everything that happened bad to them.. it was because they were black. and never took any responsibilty for what really may have been wrong.

4 now in case you did not know there is still a lot of racism toward black people in this country. It is sad but true. And yeah maybe everything bad that happened to them was because they were black. If they were white than maybe they would get the job they wanted, make more money and live a better life.

There is also a lot of hatred toward immigrants legal and illegal. I agree the term "Illegal is just an excuse." Most people don't like immigrants period. I have been in many situations where people have tried to make me feel inferior because I am an immigrant, and trust me this is not an excuse. That is why I finished my Master's degree and hold a very high paying job and I love it when it pisses people off that I am an immigrant and I am doing better than them. That is the beauty of America, the land of opportunity whoever is the smartest is going to succeed. It is just a lot harder for minorities to succeed (not impossible) because the majority tries to stop them.

QUOTE -Are you trying to say that Americans would not be upset if all this illegal immigration were eastern Europe, canadians, uk, australians(non aboriginal) albanians, croations..
                In case you didn't know Eastern Europe does include Croatia and Albania.

Comment

Then how do you explain non-white ppl who against illegal immigration? What other card besides the racist one are you going to play now?

Plenty of legal immigrants are against illegal immigration. Just go to immigration.com for example. Easy to understand why when they've to wait for years doing everything legally while illegals can cross the border, live in the USA and enjoy amnesty, courtesy of Dubya & Fox.

Comment

White people seem to be much more interested in this issue than other races. The majority of non white people don't really oppose this amnesty; actually personally I have never met a non white person that opposes it.
                    I am sure the majority of illegal immigrants are not against illegal immigration. Every legal immigrant has at least a relative, a friend or someone they know that is here illegally. I am a legal immigrant and I am all for amnesty for illegals. Illegals have no other choice, but to cross illegally. Do you really believe that if they had a choice between a visa and crossing illegally they would really choose the second option? No one is that stupid.
                    The only reason why they choose to cross the border is because that's the only option they are left with. They all come here for a better life. The very few legal immigrants that are against illegal immigration need to rethink the issue again. It sounds to me like "well since I had it the hard way everyone else should have it harder." Let's not all forget that it is much harder to cross illegally (risking your life) than it is to get on a plane and get here.

Comment

This is 4now. You are right on target with your comments!! I agree with u!! I am married to a Dominican woman and have had a mexican girlfriend in the past. I am white and believe that illegals are looking to turn the attention on the racial issue instead of the ILLEGAL issue. Follow are laws and you are welcome! Come here illegal and I say get the F*U*C*K OUT. My Dominican wife came here legally and is a great woman!! My ex-mexican girlfriend was trash and told me that she would rather be illegal because she can collect social benefits. Food stamps,medicaid and so on.

Comment

Pegasus I don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you are just mad that your Mexican girlfriend dumped your ***.
                        An illegal CANNOTT collect social benefits. An illegal does not even have a valid social security card; how can someone without a social security collect food stamps, Medicaid and so on?

Comment

ORNELA, I left her because she would not change and I have moved on to a quality woman. And you are wrong wake up. She has stolen an identity and is collecting more than $500 in food stamps. and i can go on and on. Open your eyes and smell the illegals ****ting on my country!!

Comment

ornela

You are letting that masters go to your head..
                            Yes, I am well aware croatia and albania are in eatern europe. I had started a thought about these two people and got sidetracked to finish it. Theese two groups, however whiteskin. got a very very hard time here in this country according to history.(the albanians) The croatians that I see get a very hard time. They put them all in one area of a complex and the other people around them seem very uneasy. there is just so much ignorance and culture shock in many places in usa. They have low tolerance of immigrants.

YOu are wrong about the legal immigrants cheering on the EWI to get amnesty. Legal immigrants dont mind the overstays to get amnesty many of them... but they have no regard for sneak ins getting anything. Who wants to reward a robber that broke into your house and was uninvited. Get in line and take a number.

Comment

Let them work! You all are afraid of them. They are the best workers and finish with no delays.
                              Hey an illegal even coaches my son in our youth sports cause there is a shortage of us Americans volunteering to coach.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation