Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I change my Full Name without Court Order in NYS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I change my Full Name without Court Order in NYS?

I would like to change my full name since my first name's often mispronounced and adopt my spouse's last name.

In New York State, do I need to get a court order when I want to change my full name? Going through court proceedings, fill out a petition at the courthouse, publish legal notice of my intention to change my name in a local legal newspaper, and attend a routine court hearing etc.?

I researched and found out about the "usage method" Would the DMV, Social Security Administration, USCIS accept my name's change based on my own paper declaration without a judge's order?

Thank you for your advice in advance,

I would like to change my full name since my first name's often mispronounced and adopt my spouse's last name.

In New York State, do I need to get a court order when I want to change my full name? Going through court proceedings, fill out a petition at the courthouse, publish legal notice of my intention to change my name in a local legal newspaper, and attend a routine court hearing etc.?

I researched and found out about the "usage method" Would the DMV, Social Security Administration, USCIS accept my name's change based on my own paper declaration without a judge's order?

Thank you for your advice in advance,

Comment

MACOO3,
      A person over the age of 1 year old cannot change their name without an Official Court Order. Prior to someone changing their name they must get FBI Clearance. Suggestion consult with an attorney who is specialize in this field. Good Luck...

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply.

I found a website which I found very helpful for name change in NYS:

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/nyc/c...echanges.shtml

Comment

each state is different.

In Ohio you can change your name anytime...without going through the court system

PS: u can legally change your when you become a U.S. citizen as well.Very simple,without an extra cost.
          You just need to update your new name with your social security office,dmv, and very important with the credit beaures..and the other basic places

Comment

It's of common knowledge that any person may use any name he or she wants as long as the name is not used to commit fraud. The Courts only provide an alternative and more convenient method.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Comment

Ahhh yes, and if a person DOES change their name and it is 'fraud related' ... there will be a HUGE Price To Pay!!

Glad you brought that point up Houston.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Houston:
              It's of common knowledge that any person may use any name he or she wants as long as the name is not used to commit fraud. The Courts only provide an alternative and more convenient method.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              God Bless America ! Love IT ....or LEAVE it !

Comment

I am not sure if you guys are into wrestling or ever heard of it...

there used to be a famous wrestler with the name Ultimate Warrior,real name Jim Helwig.
                In 1993 he legally changed his name to Ultimate Warrior...so any name change is possible really.

And even some sick people here did change their name legally to Adolf Hitler too...
                because its well know,there is not one family name in the world with the name HITLER...but if u search through the US phone book,you see alot of sick sick humans changing their names to Adolf Hitler lol....
                so u can honestly change your name in the U.S. to anything

Comment

Thanks for all your good advices!

I've just went to the New York Civil Court in Manhattan on 111 Centre St. to have my name changed ($65) fee ,and the Supreme Court to get the Notary Public verification at the same time.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation