Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting BCIS Info under the Freedom of Information Act

Hi, has anybody out there ever submitted form G-639 requesting BCIS information under the Freedom of Information Act? I understand it can be submitted to get a copy of the files BCIS has on you. What do you need to say under item 5 where it asks about the type of information you want copies of? I heard that if you don't do this quite right, you won't get all your records. What I am mainly looking for is dates when I entered and left the country, dates for my old visas, etc. Some of that info is in my old passport that I no longer have, and I just want to have a complete record. Also, how long does it take to get this from BCIS? Thanks.

Hi, has anybody out there ever submitted form G-639 requesting BCIS information under the Freedom of Information Act? I understand it can be submitted to get a copy of the files BCIS has on you. What do you need to say under item 5 where it asks about the type of information you want copies of? I heard that if you don't do this quite right, you won't get all your records. What I am mainly looking for is dates when I entered and left the country, dates for my old visas, etc. Some of that info is in my old passport that I no longer have, and I just want to have a complete record. Also, how long does it take to get this from BCIS? Thanks.

Comment

I know someone who filed a FOIA with BCIS for a case. It took more than 6 months to get the requested documents, and even then, they were not complete. Be as specific as possible when requesting what you want. It's not like you can just ask for your file and they make a copy of the whole thing. Information is stored in different places.

Just so you know, if they deny your request, they have to tell you why.

Comment

We requested the files for a client and it took like 2 months. After you submit your request, you'll receive an order to pay. Pay as quickly as you can - you have only like 10 days or so. Then you get your files after a few weeks.

The information contained only the applications and petitions that were previously filed and their current status, it does not contain real in-depth information, my understanding is that BCIS does not have to share all the information with you, just what they're choosing.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation