Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some good news on amnesty 2006

Here's some important quotes that i feels is great news for all my amnesty soldiers

"It's not gone forward because there's a political advantage for Democrats not to have an immigration bill," said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid countered, "The amendments were being offered by people who didn't want the bill."

The vote fell nearly along party lines, with Democrats in favor of advancing the bill and Republicans opposed.

Specter told reporters his committee would resume work on the measure as soon as Congress returns from a two-week break. He said the panel would have a measure ready for renewed debate within 10 days after that.

But Frist stopped short of a commitment to bring the issue back to the floor during the balance of the election-year session. "I intend to," he said, but added it would depend on the schedule of other bills.

Republicans said Democrats perceive a benefit in having only a GOP-written House bill that would make being an illegal immigrant a felony. That bill has prompted massive protests across the country, including a march by 500,000 people in Los Angeles last month.

Demonstrations in support of the compromise were planned for Monday across the nation, including one in Washington that organizers claimed would draw 100,000 people.

The House has passed legislation limited to border security, but Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and other leaders have signaled their willingness in recent days to broaden the bill in compromise talks with the Senate.

Here's some important quotes that i feels is great news for all my amnesty soldiers

"It's not gone forward because there's a political advantage for Democrats not to have an immigration bill," said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid countered, "The amendments were being offered by people who didn't want the bill."

The vote fell nearly along party lines, with Democrats in favor of advancing the bill and Republicans opposed.

Specter told reporters his committee would resume work on the measure as soon as Congress returns from a two-week break. He said the panel would have a measure ready for renewed debate within 10 days after that.

But Frist stopped short of a commitment to bring the issue back to the floor during the balance of the election-year session. "I intend to," he said, but added it would depend on the schedule of other bills.

Republicans said Democrats perceive a benefit in having only a GOP-written House bill that would make being an illegal immigrant a felony. That bill has prompted massive protests across the country, including a march by 500,000 people in Los Angeles last month.

Demonstrations in support of the compromise were planned for Monday across the nation, including one in Washington that organizers claimed would draw 100,000 people.

The House has passed legislation limited to border security, but Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and other leaders have signaled their willingness in recent days to broaden the bill in compromise talks with the Senate.

Comment

let me guess where you got these quotes from...........the liberal new york times perhaps

Comment

Sounds like senator specter will bring the subject back on the floor by april 30th, but i would advice the republicans to kick senator kyl ans session out of the judiciary committee..those guys are a waste of time and they are only there to attemp to kill the bill.

Comment

What happened in the Senate is nothing more than electoral tactics. The Democrats will try to use H.R.4437 against the republicans but the Republicans already mentioned that it was the Democrats who voted against the amendment to turn illegal presence into a misdemeanor. Overal, the debate could affect the Republicans during the elections. Ironically, one thing they do have in their favor is an all-time low in the unemployment rate, even when illegal immigration is at an all time-high!

Comment

the economic is booming and thousands of job are being created everyday, but the extremist are saying millions of americans cant find jobs and illegal are taking those jobs away from americans...the unemployment rating is at an all-time low, only 4%, the the extremist are saying millions of americans lose jobs to illegals and this is a big lie...the americans that are not working are the one that are too lazy to look for a job because those jobs are out there if you look hard enought..those people are lazy, fat white americans like paddy, aliba, someone12 and others and they want to scapegoat immigrants that take the time to look for the job and work hard at it..ive always said that us americans are lazy and always make excuses when things dont go our way.

Comment

Sen. Specter will be on Fox News this Sunday.

Comment

what specter should have done is tried to convince as many senators as possible to stay in washington and work this immigration issue out..i had heard that there would be weekend sessions but i guess not..but like i said, someone should have ask the senators to stay for another week to get things done..2 weeks is too long and maybe they could have convince at least 40 to 50 senators to stay for at least one more week and sacrifice one week. the public would have applaud such a move.

* what should have been done is try to get at least 20 senator to stay, democrats and republicant, then ask others whther they would like to leave their telephone numbers and other contacts with them, so they could be reach for advice etc etc.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation