Re:CSS/LULAC - When An Immigration Officer Makes A Wrongful Determination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since when has having a good lawyer mean you are guilty or have something to hide? Most people hire good lawyers just to make sure another good lawyer or adjudicator does not turn your innocence into guilt. I had authentic documents that should remove any doubts in the officer's or anybody's mind. The officer did not critisize any of my documents because they were genuine. Most of my documents, such as bank statements, bills, etc. still have their original envelopes with post office dates clearly shown on them. Haven't you heard of some people who did not have any documents at all and still got approved? You may disagree with me as much as you want but I went thru the interview, not you. Why do people always assume that prejudice only has to do with race? What about envy, jealousy, etc.? I don't play the race card; I am too mature for that. But a spade is still a spade. And if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, you will be foolhardy not to call it a duck just because you fear being critisized for calling it a duck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kumna:
    Bambulu,
    This may surprise you, but having the best lawyer at the interview could actually hurt your case. Usually, lawyers are involved when a case is complicated. So, when you hire a big lawyer, automatically, the immigration officer will smell something fishy although you are confident that everything is ok.
    If I were you, I would have gone alone and attempt the first time. If things dont work out, then it will be justified to hire a lawyer.
    I am a black man from Africa. I will disagree with you that what the officer did was racist. This is what I believe: the officer saw you with a lawyer and decided to do everything with respect to the strict law. So, that caused him to look more closely at your case and found that something does not sit well. It does not matter how big of mouth your lawyer has, that is not going to change the outcome. Just go fill out the waiver paperwork and follow the instructions. Hopefully, next time you wont take a machine gun to fight against the mouse.

Peace! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Bambulu,

My intent is not to make you feel guilty for hiring a lawyer. I am looking at your case from a practical view point. You may have hired a lawyer to make sure everything is ok. But, listen to what I am saying. If you come with a lawyer to an interview, you psychologically create a sense of serious environement. You are basically telling the officer, be aware, I have a lawyer with me. This creates a tense environment for everyone. That's why I told you hiring the best lawyer could actually play against you. But, take my advice for what it is worth.

I honestly believe people should hire a lawyer only when they truly need one. Based on the case you have described, you could have gone to the interview and things would have been ok.

Also, your reply to my post tells me something about you. How convinced are you that the officer is jealous of you?

If you went there and tried to show that you are better than him, I am not sorry for you that you got denied. These are people like you. They have feelings, families and issues. They sit there to listen to people stories all day long. The least you can do is to show them some respect. But if you want to come and act like superman, be ready to take some ugly surprises in your life.

I hope you get your acts together sooner than later. This is not something you can buy with money.

Comment

It's unfortunate you like to jump to conclusion. From my reply, you now know everything about me? How judgmental can you be? Did I say the officer was jealous of me? All I said was there are reasons other than race for prejudice. Why would I say the officer was jealous of me? The officer has a good job! In fact, I don't even think I have a better than the officer. And you think I went there and tried to show that I am better than him, huh? Every response to that officer ended with sir/mam. Who are you and how on earth do you get to these conclusions? "These are people like you. They have feelings, families and issues". And I don't have? Look, I already went for the interview; so, saying that if you were me you would not have gone with a lawyer, is a valueless advice. The only reason I put out my case to this board is to have the opportunity to piggyback on someone else' experience. I don't need criticism. Before you jump to another conclusion, please note I am not holier-than-thou and that's why I am asking for positive and helpful responses from this board. I am not asking you to be sorry for me either. It's not the end of my life even if I don't get approved. If you can't be of help, please don't offer advice. Help is what I need now, not criticism, ok! This is not Africa, and I know "this is not something you can buy with money".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kumna:
        Bambulu,

My intent is not to make you feel guilty for hiring a lawyer. I am looking at your case from a practical view point. You may have hired a lawyer to make sure everything is ok. But, listen to what I am saying. If you come with a lawyer to an interview, you psychologically create a sense of serious environement. You are basically telling the officer, be aware, I have a lawyer with me. This creates a tense environment for everyone. That's why I told you hiring the best lawyer could actually play against you. But, take my advice for what it is worth.

I honestly believe people should hire a lawyer only when they truly need one. Based on the case you have described, you could have gone to the interview and things would have been ok.

Also, your reply to my post tells me something about you. How convinced are you that the officer is jealous of you?

If you went there and tried to show that you are better than him, I am not sorry for you that you got denied. These are people like you. They have feelings, families and issues. They sit there to listen to people stories all day long. The least you can do is to show them some respect. But if you want to come and act like superman, be ready to take some ugly surprises in your life.

I hope you get your acts together sooner than later. This is not something you can buy with money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Any update on IAP vs INS Bannister? You have mentioned that the settlement was scheduled for today...

Comment

In retrospect I'm sorry that I didn't take a lawyer with me to my interview. The lawyer would have been a buffer between myself, and a very resentful immigration officer. The lawyer would also become my witness, as the officer is now distorting what I said in the interview. He must lie in order to deny me. Do they record the interviews? I hope so.

Comment

I called the court yesterday to find out if it will hold. i am told they have till 31st to appear before the judge. I shall let you know next week.

Comment

Bambulu - I agree with Kumnas's take on your situation and that no offense was intended. It was just a practical and likely accurate point of view and you are taking it way too personally. Just focus on getting past where you are psychologically with the unfortunate outcome of your experience and move on with an alternate view or approach for next time. Maybe I'm being naive, but from what you describe of your history here, you sound like an honorable person and I find it hard to believe that you will not be able to get your status approved. I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Thanks Bannister!

Comment

Thanks, and I appreciate that. We are all human and no one needs kicking when they are down. I welcome constructive criticism and really did not take it personally. My lawyer thought my case was a slam-dunk given the very authentic documents (which I was really lucky to still have after all these years) and was taken aback when the officer decided in an about-face manner like that. I'll keep hope alive. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeeD:
                    Bambulu - I agree with Kumnas's take on your situation and that no offense was intended. It was just a practical and likely accurate point of view and you are taking it way too personally. Just focus on getting past where you are psychologically with the unfortunate outcome of your experience and move on with an alternate view or approach for next time. Maybe I'm being naive, but from what you describe of your history here, you sound like an honorable person and I find it hard to believe that you will not be able to get your status approved. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Bambulu,
                      Once again, I am not criticizing you. I am talking to you from the bottom of my heart. Maybe I should have spinned and tell you what you want to hear. Although that may make you feel good, I doubt it would help you get your green card. And remember, the truth will set you free, but it will p i s s you first.

As for you being a person, having feelings and family, I agree. But next time you go to the interview, leave this idea behind you at your house. Take a second and think about it: you waited all this time, saved all the bills, took your time and even hired a lawyer for this interview, which usually takes about an hour maximum. Now when you walk through that door for the interview, shoot down any idea that may prevent you from successfully passing the interview. This includes, but not limited to, your ego, your gender, race, any personal belief or sensitivity you may have. For one hour, I am sure you can do it: Keep your focus on getting your green card. At the end of the day, what counts is not how well or bad you were treated, how smart your lawyer is, how good your background is or how well documented your case is, but what really counts is the answer to this short question: did I get the card?

You have been talking about all the documents you have. Having the most impressive documents on earth is not a guarantee for the green card even if you are married to a USC. GC is a priviledge, not a right. My advice to you, dont rely on the documents too much. They are a requirement in the process, so consider them as such.

After you get your waiver, you may have to deal with the same officer again. Be mentally prepared to deal with him with a positive attitude. If he feels like you have some sort of anger against him for doing what he did, then he will try to find a nail in the sand with your case. Believe it or not, the system has given him the power to do that. So, as you go through the frustration of starting all over again, dont forget about this little detail that can make a big difference. Think of couple things that can add some human touch to your case. Maybe 2 or 3 mixed american idioms well lined up that can make him smile when you remind him of having to go back and get the waiver.

I have not gone through the particular process you are referring to, but I believe there are very little things that can make a huge difference. I thought I would share with you. But who knows, you may come back again and tell me that I am being judgemental. Either way, I suggest you think about them.

Kumna.

Comment

What Kumna wrote, is a very sad thing to read. But Kumna is correct, unfortunately.

To think that's it's more important to appease the immigration officer than the solid facts of the case. Both Bambulu and I are in the exact same situation. We both far exceed the requirements for legalization, but are getting denied because we turned off the officer for some reason.

Sometimes it's just a chemistry thing, some people you naturally like, some you don't. We are all guilty of discriminating, sometimes for reasons we don't understand ourselves. The same exact case that gets denied by one officer, could be approved very easily by another. Very sad.

Comment

Thanks anyway, Kumna. I am a lover of the truth, even if it may be bitter, but it's not supposed to hurt. But if the truth is not delivered right, it will be bitter and hurt at the same time. I am a "man of the world" and have done my best to understand people. I don't like arrogant people, and therefore will never be arrogant to others. I don't liars, and so I don't lie to others. In short, I don't do to others what I don't like or like others to do to me. Most people in the world today are not like that. I have worked hard to attain this disposition in life. But believe me, I am not self-righteous either. We are all human. I only try. So, that's why it did not sit well with me initially when you said some of those things you said. I am very down to earth and would never have been rude or haughty in behavior towards an officer who I know has so much power over me. That will be foolhardy. In fact, the work I do requires that you understand the humanist ethic and some etiquette. I practise that in my daily life. Thanks for your advice and I wish you the best in your undertakings too. Merry Xmas and happy New Year in advance.

Bambulu,
                          Once again, I am not criticizing you. I am talking to you from the bottom of my heart. Maybe I should have spinned and tell you what you want to hear. Although that may make you feel good, I doubt it would help you get your green card. And remember, the truth will set you free, but it will p i s s you first.

As for you being a person, having feelings and family, I agree. But next time you go to the interview, leave this idea behind you at your house. Take a second and think about it: you waited all this time, saved all the bills, took your time and even hired a lawyer for this interview, which usually takes about an hour maximum. Now when you walk through that door for the interview, shoot down any idea that may prevent you from successfully passing the interview. This includes, but not limited to, your ego, your gender, race, any personal belief or sensitivity you may have. For one hour, I am sure you can do it: Keep your focus on getting your green card. At the end of the day, what counts is not how well or bad you were treated, how smart your lawyer is, how good your background is or how well documented your case is, but what really counts is the answer to this short question: did I get the card?

You have been talking about all the documents you have. Having the most impressive documents on earth is not a guarantee for the green card even if you are married to a USC. GC is a priviledge, not a right. My advice to you, dont rely on the documents too much. They are a requirement in the process, so consider them as such.

After you get your waiver, you may have to deal with the same officer again. Be mentally prepared to deal with him with a positive attitude. If he feels like you have some sort of anger against him for doing what he did, then he will try to find a nail in the sand with your case. Believe it or not, the system has given him the power to do that. So, as you go through the frustration of starting all over again, dont forget about this little detail that can make a big difference. Think of couple things that can add some human touch to your case. Maybe 2 or 3 mixed american idioms well lined up that can make him smile when you remind him of having to go back and get the waiver.

I have not gone through the particular process you are referring to, but I believe there are very little things that can make a huge difference. I thought I would share with you. But who knows, you may come back again and tell me that I am being judgemental. Either way, I suggest you think about them.

Kumna. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bannister:
                            I called the court yesterday to find out if it will hold. i am told they have till 31st to appear before the judge. I shall let you know next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bannister,

Any update on this settlement?

Freedom1.

Comment

I-687 if anybody's application is not legalize timely and probably in AAO might be deny be a class member because they cannot prove their resident from1983 to 1988,in application the affidavit have to be 100% before they approve their class member.If they will prove any applicants as a class member their case will aprove,school or medical peper will help but not as important as the wittnes of residancy.
                              sa

Comment

Attorney's of both sides were to file final settlement on sunday according to seattle court record. I have the final submission but cannot explain why they were not on pacer. when i called the court I am only told of the last date to file but do not know and understand why they are not in conpliance of court order by judge robart

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation