Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizen needs advice

I fell in love with a woman in the Philippines. We have been "online" together for over two years now. I just came back from the Philippines about 1 month ago after visiting her for 2 weeks. I met her family, we got engaged, now the process begins.

The problem? I'm a convicted felon. Stupid Stupid Stupid. I did some things I am very ashamed of about 5 years ago. Assault and battery, home invasion. I served no jail time, I got 4 years probation.

Do I get to bring my fiance over here? Am I automatically disqualified for my stupidity? I have 3 kids by a previous marriage. I can't move there. I'm going crazy now. Not sure what to do. Do I submit the I 294F only to wait the 6 months for it to be denied. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I fell in love with a woman in the Philippines. We have been "online" together for over two years now. I just came back from the Philippines about 1 month ago after visiting her for 2 weeks. I met her family, we got engaged, now the process begins.

The problem? I'm a convicted felon. Stupid Stupid Stupid. I did some things I am very ashamed of about 5 years ago. Assault and battery, home invasion. I served no jail time, I got 4 years probation.

Do I get to bring my fiance over here? Am I automatically disqualified for my stupidity? I have 3 kids by a previous marriage. I can't move there. I'm going crazy now. Not sure what to do. Do I submit the I 294F only to wait the 6 months for it to be denied. What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment

So long as your fiancee hasn't committed a crime, there should be no problems. They're not going to look at you (the USC) at all, really.
      --------------------
      "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JermCool:
        .. They're not going to look at you (the USC) at all, really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Oh yeah, USCIS does the background check on a petitioner as well (and on attorneys from time to time!). The Adam Walsh law added one more round of checking...

bdavis13, have a chat with a lawyer before you file papers.

Comment

huh! I would like to know what whiteUSCNeedsHelp has to say about you!

Oppps never mind since you are USC is ok!

BS

Comment

Brother....You will not have any issues in bringing her here. However, I would strongly encourage you to take a peek at this.

http://www.nationalmeditation.org/page17.htm

Of course, the generalization is bad but better be safe than sorry.
            I am not racist. I am not anti-immigrant. I am AGAINST CRIMINALS, FRAUDSTERS, WHO DISOBEY THE LAW, BREAK THE LAW AND PERPETRATE THE FRAUD.

You may not like what I have to say but that does not mean I am wrong.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
              Oh yeah, USCIS does the background check on a petitioner as well (and on attorneys from time to time!). The Adam Walsh law added one more round of checking...

bdavis13, have a chat with a lawyer before you file papers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
              Since when? A background check was never run on me when I petitioned for Aroha and that was a little over a year ago.
              --------------------
              "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If applied as a K1 visa and if any international marriage bureau was used, IMBRA will kick in where they will disclose her every details about you including criminal conviction.
                I am not racist. I am not anti-immigrant. I am AGAINST CRIMINALS, FRAUDSTERS, WHO DISOBEY THE LAW, BREAK THE LAW AND PERPETRATE THE FRAUD.

You may not like what I have to say but that does not mean I am wrong.

Comment

I have 18 felony convictions.
                  Served 20 years in jail.
                  Last year I wanted to marry , also a woman from overseas, and I went to a lawyer for a consultation.
                  JC is right about IMBRA.
                  So he (my lawyer) said that if I pay him $20000 he would marry her, bring her here and divorse in two years with perm. card, and she could then stay with me.
                  I refused, because I value $20000 very much.

Now it's your choice what you want to do, PM me if you need lawyers name and location.
                  I charge $10000 for referral.

E.
                  http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Comment

I'm not concerned with her finding out about my past convictions. I have told her everything already.

My only concern is that the US Government would or could prevent me from bringing her here based upon MY criminal past. She has no criminal past, and already has a passport.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JermCool:
                      <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aneri:
                      Oh yeah, USCIS does the background check on a petitioner as well (and on attorneys from time to time!). The Adam Walsh law added one more round of checking...

bdavis13, have a chat with a lawyer before you file papers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                      Since when? A background check was never run on me when I petitioned for Aroha and that was a little over a year ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true..the USC does not get a background check..well not all of them anyway. My ex was not. We asked about it, in case we missed something and they said no, no back ground check was needed for the USC (my sponsor).

I thought they did at least a small check..you know something big that was obvious, but since I have heard USC's sponsoring when they have had many felonies.

There was a question on one of the forms though, and had to mention it at interview if my ex has any past convictions. That was the only time it came up.
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
                      1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Comment

JC, how do you know USCIS did not check you out? Some checks are done as a matter of routine (when data is entered into the computer). Most people think of "FBI fingerprints" when "background check" is mentioned. (That may explain answer SG'07 got: fingerprints from petitioner not needed).

Some examples of databases USCIS has access to:
                        *NCIC
                        *IBIS
                        *NIIS
                        *CLASS
                        *CCD
                        *TIPOFF
                        *NAILS
                        *TECS II
                        *TSC and TTIC databases

" While security checking is widely focused on the visa beneficiary, petitioners and even attorneys and consultants involved in a case are subject to security screening.

A Lookout Hit or Red Flag Hit can be generated on a visa petition, among other reasons, for any the following:
                        *Past arrest record
                        *Past criminal conviction record
                        *Past firearms record
                        *Past record of domestic violence or sexual offenses
                        *Past fingerprint record with any law enforcement agency
                        *Past visa or immigration history
                        *Watch List or Pending Charges "Hit": Petitioner or Beneficiary is currently on watch list or wanted on pending charges with any law enforcement or other government agency, (local, state, federal, FBI, INTERPOL, Homeland Security, State Department designated terrorist group list)"

Comment

That raises an interesting point, Aneri.

Although if the USCIS or NVC went to run a background check on me, you'd think they would have wanted some clarification as to why I dropped off the radar for nearly 9 years (I was in NZ just prior to my filing).

I can imagine a small check would be run to verify the petition was legit, but a full-blown police check?
                          --------------------

Comment

Although if the USCIS or NVC went to run a background check on me, you'd think they would have wanted some clarification as to why I dropped off the radar for nearly 9 years (I was in NZ just prior to my filing). </div></BLOCKQUOTE> you wrote in your bio-info where you lived, didn't you? Besides, "no match" is a good thing and they do not go to look or inquire why there is "no match".

When it comes to USC, USCIS is mostly concered if that person is "wanted" by law-inforcement, and if convicted of domestic violence and ***-related crimes (as per Adam Walsh law).

Comment

Guys there is a agency called interpal that is helping to prevent fraud by philippine women and will have a video out soon on the culutre and how to find a wife without getting scammed.
                              Its www.interpal.us

The man operating this is Master Hughes hes had a lot of experience with the problem and also operates a agency called the National Meditation Center they do security personal and travel security training. check out either site.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation