Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Law Question: H1-B related question: H1-B about to be filed

I am an international student who graduated with a master's from a US institute in December 2011, had an EAD start date in Feb 2012 (i.e OPT start date), and will start to work (shortly) in March 2012. The organization that I will work for intends to file for an H1-B visa for me in the month of April 2012.

I have also applied to PhD programs and will not know at the time of H1-B filing whether or not I will be attending a PhD program (it depends on which schools I get into). PhD programs will commence in August 2012 (i.e. 4 months after my H1-B is filed). My previous graduate school says that IF I am on OPT, they will transfer of your SEVIS record a few weeks before I start at my new school, and I will continue to be on an F-1 visa.

I had a few queries regarding my situation. Specifically:

1. What happens if I decide to accept a PhD offer AFTER the company has filed for an H1-B? Will I need to quit the company immediately after an I-20 is issued (or only on the date of SEVIS record transfer)?

2. How long does it take for the H1-B visa to come through? If the H1-B has not come through, can I continue working till July 2012 on OPT and do a SEVIS record transfer then?

3. If the H1-B does come through, will I need to go back to my country of origin and apply for an F-1 visa or can I do a change of status from within the US (I hear it takes up to 6 months)?

In case there is any additional information that I need to know, I'd be thankful if you could provide it.

Thanks in advance for your time. Sorry about not being more brief.

I am an international student who graduated with a master's from a US institute in December 2011, had an EAD start date in Feb 2012 (i.e OPT start date), and will start to work (shortly) in March 2012. The organization that I will work for intends to file for an H1-B visa for me in the month of April 2012.

I have also applied to PhD programs and will not know at the time of H1-B filing whether or not I will be attending a PhD program (it depends on which schools I get into). PhD programs will commence in August 2012 (i.e. 4 months after my H1-B is filed). My previous graduate school says that IF I am on OPT, they will transfer of your SEVIS record a few weeks before I start at my new school, and I will continue to be on an F-1 visa.

I had a few queries regarding my situation. Specifically:

1. What happens if I decide to accept a PhD offer AFTER the company has filed for an H1-B? Will I need to quit the company immediately after an I-20 is issued (or only on the date of SEVIS record transfer)?

2. How long does it take for the H1-B visa to come through? If the H1-B has not come through, can I continue working till July 2012 on OPT and do a SEVIS record transfer then?

3. If the H1-B does come through, will I need to go back to my country of origin and apply for an F-1 visa or can I do a change of status from within the US (I hear it takes up to 6 months)?

In case there is any additional information that I need to know, I'd be thankful if you could provide it.

Thanks in advance for your time. Sorry about not being more brief.

Comment

Please help! I would really, really appreciate a response. To make the question more brief:

I am on an OPT. My company is filing for H1-B in October. If the H1-B is filed, how do I quit the company and join a PhD program on an F1 visa? Does the approval being done or being pending make a difference?

Thank you very much.

Comment

H1b is dual intent visa, F1 isn't.
        It's common to change from F1 to H1, however I haven't heard of the reverse. In theory it's possible to change status from H1 to F1, but for all practical purposes contact an immigration attorney in good standing.

Comment

Thank you very much OldE2. I will not be on H1-B if/when I join the PhD program. Will the H1-B automatically be withdrawn if I quit the job and join the PhD program?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by recentgrad123:
            Thank you very much OldE2. I will not be on H1-B if/when I join the PhD program. Will the H1-B automatically be withdrawn if I quit the job and join the PhD program? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you ask the immigration attorney

Comment

Hello, the latest ratings are not very positive, because only those large giants and companies are ready to get H-1B high approval ratings for 99% of the H-1B visas for PhD students that they request. There's also a chance to apply for J-1 or F-1 Visa instead.
              Read about the changes in:
              Settling for Academia? H-1B Visas and the Career Choices of International Students in the United States by Delia Furtado and Catalina Amuedo-Dorantes from https://dissertationwriter.org/ providing legal help to international students.

Comment

Sodium Hypochlorite Price

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs